Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax/ stupid questions.

(3 Posts)
gillybeanz Wed 19-Apr-17 15:19:03

I'm part employed by an agency and pt employed in our business.
I have been paying tax as PAYE from agency job.

Contacted HMRC today and they are issuing new code as I've been paying tax when shouldn't have done. They said I'd get a rebate.

Will this be paid as a lump sum?
They also said that it would be sorted when our accountant has filed our 2016/ 17 SA.

Does this mean that I'll have to wait for it all or will my agency give rebate from what they have taken so far from 2017/18.
It won't be much but we are paid weekly so a few weeks now since April 5th.
Then will I have to ask for rebate from last year when SA is filed, or will this happen automatically.

Tia if you understand this.

Moanyoldcow Wed 19-Apr-17 21:54:45

Hi. Tax years are discrete and therefore you won't get a refund via the agency PAYE in 2017/18 if the overpayment related to 2016/17.

Tax refunds for prior years are generally paid in a lump sum. I'd advise filing your self assessment asap and get your refund.

gillybeanz Wed 19-Apr-17 22:08:31

Thanks Moany
My dh is just finalising his accounts to send to our accountant who understand far more than we do, I'll contact her and give her thumbs up to hurry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: