Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Should I close my cc account?

(3 Posts)
Redyoyo Wed 12-Apr-17 22:40:47

I just got a loan from my bank to pay off my 2 credit cards. Both have no balance now one had a 10k limit i've called them and put my limit to 3k and locked card away. The other I was going to phone and close my account tomorrow, but I've just thought will this have an impact on my credit rating? The limit on this card is alot and i've had it for 18 years. We're hoping to buy a new house soon and are trying to get ourselves in the best position.

bouncydog Thu 13-Apr-17 06:48:52

Lenders like settled and closed accounts. If it were me I would close the one with the least benefits but it depends on how you use them. eg if one gives cash back ten I would keep that one, but only use and settle in full each month.

thethoughtfox Thu 13-Apr-17 09:19:56

The best way to boost your credit rating is to be shown to responsibly use credit: use the card for something each month and pay it off in full each month. Never been able to stick to this myself though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now