Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Saving money

(7 Posts)
AmyZak Tue 11-Apr-17 09:50:41

Does anyone have any money saving tips or ideas? I'm currently on maternity leave and my pay is slowly getting lower every month. And I'm wanting to save some money but would like some ideas.

Ellisandra Wed 12-Apr-17 06:59:06

The money saving expert website is a great place for this!

Timeforabiscuit Wed 12-Apr-17 07:04:26

First step would be drawing up a budget of all your income and outgoings, you then have a place to start with trying to get cost effective deals with utilities, shopping, car insurance etc.

Also, take a look at any unsed assets, renting out car parking spaces no longer used, selling old hobby equipment etc.

As above, money saving expert is excellent, but as interest rates are low you may be better off paying off any debt rather than trying to save AND pay off debt.

pollie9 Wed 19-Apr-17 15:06:20

I'm having a hard time saving money as well. Better put in in a bank and not just leave it in your wallet or somewhere in the house where you can easily get.

MongerTruffle Sat 22-Apr-17 20:44:51

Put away at least 10% of your income away each month. I learnt this the hard way when working on a plantation in Spain and eating nothing but melons for a week. Don't touch it until you are absolutely desperate.

Draw up a budget - include a margin of error in case the price of something goes up.

LillyLollyLandy Sun 23-Apr-17 11:33:55

I'm on maternity too. I made a list of all upcoming annual expenses like car insurance, house insurance etc and then worked out how much I needed to put aside each month to pay for them when they were due. I've got a budget for all my monthly costs like mortgage, groceries etc and I use a budget tracking app called YNAB. Meal planning is also a great way of keeping a handle on costs.

Why not join one of the frugal threads over in credit crunch?

alwaystimeforcoffee Tue 25-Apr-17 11:40:37

I've found that this site has a few good tips for saving money: smile.findmeagift.co.uk/smile/money-saving-tips/

Other than that, I've found writing everything down (incomings and outgoings), in a big spreadsheet very effective, as you can see where to cut back and how much by. It's also very time-consuming, so it means you've got a few days occupied and not spending money! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now