Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child Tax Credits My 3rd DH's 2nd Baby

(33 Posts)
baconpancakes Sun 09-Apr-17 11:40:09

My husband and I are expecting a baby and I have a question about changes to child tax credits (I did google search it but nothing came up). Basically this is going to be my third baby but DH's second baby as I already have a child from a previous relationship and we also have one DC together. Does anyone know if DH would be able to apply for child tax credits for the new baby as it would be his second child or if we would not be eligible as it's my third child? TIA

gamerchick Sun 09-Apr-17 11:42:45

Does he claim tax credits for his other child?

FishInAWetSuitAndFlippers Sun 09-Apr-17 11:43:09

My understanding is that it's the amount of children on your claim.

Presumably you and dh have a joint claim with 2 dc already on it, in which case you wouldn't be eligible to claim for a third child.

Snap8TheCat Sun 09-Apr-17 11:44:51

Gamer it's the ops child. I'm assuming she claims for all three if they all live with her. So it will be a no op

Snap8TheCat Sun 09-Apr-17 11:45:48

Tax credits should be a joint claim if you live together so are all three children on your joint claim?

baconpancakes Sun 09-Apr-17 11:49:17

See I always thought only one parent could be a claimant for child tax credits- child tax credit for my DC from previous relationship and our other DC are in my name and go into my account. Working tax credits go into DH's account but are claimed jointly confused

Viviennemary Sun 09-Apr-17 12:10:38

From what I read it depends on the number of children in the household. So if your first two children live with you and then you have a third which is also part of your household then you won't be able to claim for the third child.

Babyroobs Sun 09-Apr-17 12:13:30

If you and your husband are already claiming for 2 children in your household then no you won't be able to claim for the one you are expecting when it's born.

Babyroobs Sun 09-Apr-17 12:16:04

Sorry just saw that your dh wants to claim? Only one of you can claim tax credits. and that would be for the number of children living in your household as part of your family unit.
You need to give us more information about which children live in you and your dh's household.
child benefit will still be payable for all children but obviously should be claimed by the parent they reside with most.

Babyroobs Sun 09-Apr-17 12:18:21

Sorry just re-read your last post. You won't get them for your third baby. you will get child benefit for the third child but no further tax credits. You will just get child tax credits for 2.

baconpancakes Sun 09-Apr-17 12:27:46

Thanks everyone for your help.

Babyroobs Sun 09-Apr-17 12:35:53

This new rule will probably hit low paid families like yours the hardest especially as your dh is most likely also paying child manitainance for his other child?
If you both decide to work at any point though, I think you would get help with childcare costs for all 3.

baconpancakes Sun 09-Apr-17 12:45:39

Babyroobs I am the one who has a DC from a previous relationship (who I have sole custody of and lives with us full time) so I get child maintenance payments.

Babyroobs Sun 09-Apr-17 12:49:30

Aah sorry bacon, not so bad then.

lougle Sun 09-Apr-17 12:51:18

It's a nice thought, baconpancakes, but your logic doesn't work for tax credits. Your tax credits claim is a household claim. You jointly claim tax credits with your DH and you will have 3 children on the claim. Unfortunately, because of the changes to the system, only the first two children will be eligible for child tax credits.

Babyroobs Sun 09-Apr-17 12:56:20

I guess op is relatively lucky though really as her first child is being financially supported by his father ( although it may not be a huge amount) and that CM is not counted as income for tax credit calculations, and will also still get tax credits for 2 children.
Hardest hit will be families where one parent is paying CM as I don't think tax credits take any account of that when calculating tax credits, and already have blended families, then have another child together.

Snap8TheCat Sun 09-Apr-17 13:07:15

Her DH doesn't have another child he's paying maintenance for!!

Babyroobs Sun 09-Apr-17 13:10:46

Yes snap . Sorry I did apologise for my mistake, I should really read the post more carefully !

expatinscotland Sun 09-Apr-17 13:18:34

'Hardest hit will be families where one parent is paying CM as I don't think tax credits take any account of that when calculating tax credits, and already have blended families, then have another child together.'

How are they 'hit'? They know the rules now. Sometimes it's not possible to get what we want, or have a child with every partner or spouse we're with. People are free to do this, they just won't get more tax credits for a third child in a household.

Far more concerning is that a resident parent is considered 'lucky' to get child maintenance. Or that people can procreate, walk away from that child, not pay for it and claim tax credits for whoever's they live with, regardless of how many they have procreated themselves.

Babyroobs Sun 09-Apr-17 13:22:31

Sorry ex-pat. Lucky wasn't a good term to use. I just meant that that Cm won't be taken into account for tax credits so op's first child is being supported ( as should be the case for all children) and then she still gets state support in the form of tax credits for 2 children too. Didn't mean to cause any offense, you are completely correct to pull me up on that.

Babyroobs Sun 09-Apr-17 13:23:49

I still think blended families will be hard hit though, but appreciate they of course do have a choice to not have more children.

SingaSong12 Sun 09-Apr-17 13:33:24

OP can't quite tell from your previous posts - if you have a joint claim for child tax and split the money that's OK. It's likely to be the situation given youhave joint working tax claim. If you live as a couple it must be a joint claim so if it hasn't been up to now you need to let them know asap and get things sorted out. There may be an overpayment and an investigation into the circumstances.
Tax credits are based on who is responsible for the children lusually based on child benefit so if they all live you and DH that will be three children.
The other thing that might happen in a few areas of the country is that it triggers a universal Credit claim replacing the tax credits altogether-

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/working-and-child-tax-credits/working-and-child-tax-credits/check-if-you-can-get-child-tax-credits/

PencilsInSpace Sun 09-Apr-17 14:00:43

No new UC claims for families with 3 or more children until 2018.

baconpancakes Sun 09-Apr-17 16:35:52

SingaSong12 I'll have to double check my paperwork but tax credits office know about my household circumstances so I think I just got confused due to the money being paid into my account. DH and I have a joint account as well as two separate accounts but everything is considered our household income- we just prefer to have a joint account for bills and rent, and then our personal accounts are used for shopping etc.

RainbowsAndUnicorn Sun 09-Apr-17 18:22:59

Not sure how they will be hit either, blended family or not.

Having a chid, first or third, is a luxury and an expense that should be down to the parents not the state hence the cap needing to be brought in in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now