Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

£3300 stolen from grandparents

(4 Posts)
mrsalways Sat 08-Apr-17 20:51:48

I am so angry!!
Today my 86 year old grandad got a call from 'bt' saying they could see he was having internet problems (he actually was). They then told him how to try an fix it, which didn't work so they asked him for his card details to charge him to fix it. He stupidly gave them over confused. About an hour later he realised he shouldn't of given his card details hmm and rang Santander who informed him that as he willing gave them they could do nothing about it the £3300 that has been taken. Is there anything we can do? I'm furious that these scum bags prey on the elderly but I'm angry at my grandad too as we've spoke about this sort of thing..

NickMyLipple Sat 08-Apr-17 20:58:53

Such a shame - the fraudsters may try to sell his number/details because he is an 'easy target - I would help them to change their telephone number otherwise the calls might become relentless.

Perhaps contact Action Fraud: 0300 123 2040 for further advice and support (And the police if you haven't already reported It - it's a crime afterall).

I hear what Santander are saying in that he willingly gave details - so annoying they can't recover the money.

I'm angry on your behalf, such bastards.

flowers for your grandparents.

mrsalways Mon 10-Apr-17 07:30:04

Thankyou for that info xx

whataboutbob Thu 13-Apr-17 08:51:29

Just seen this, for what it's worth there is a high profile case ongoing with Santander involving an elderly couple who were "groomed" by fraudsters and handed over about £100000 in branch over several episodes. The couple's nephew is challenging Santander saying they should have noticed this unusual activity on the account and taken action to stop the payments. The same could possibly be argued about your GPs, so maybe worth watching the case and which way it goes legally. My personal belief from experience is Santander is slapdash with security for its customers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now