Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Matched betting?! Tell me more...

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

ExpatMrs Sat 08-Apr-17 15:59:05

Just came across a good few MNers talking about it on another thread. I don't even know what it is but from the jist of the convo, there's good money to be made from having a couple of hours a day to do it... I have those hours!!
Can anyone enlighten me please?

user0000000001 Sat 08-Apr-17 16:02:56

Have a look here

ExpatMrs Sat 08-Apr-17 16:06:54

Ok, thanks for that!
It does seem ridiculously easy when watching that video, but surely there has to be a downside?

user0000000001 Sat 08-Apr-17 16:18:53

Not sure... I keep seeing people talking about it on here and thinking 'I must try it'. I only watched that video today.

If you think about it, if your betting on every outcome (win and don't win) with similar amounts and odds, you can't lose anything approaching significant amounts of money?

So, the only downside I can think of is spending a lot of time doing it and not winning a lot?

If you're up for it, we could try together and let each other know how we get on smile

user0000000001 Sat 08-Apr-17 16:19:17

if you're

smileygrapefruit Sat 08-Apr-17 16:22:07

Haha I nearly posted this after seeing that other thread. I've just signed up for free trial on profit accumulator and will give it a go!

ExpatMrs Sat 08-Apr-17 16:24:24

I am thinking we have nothing to lose?
My Aunt used to have a Twitter account that she solely used for 'comping' - basically competitions on Twitter where you had to retweet or something . Anyway for approx 2 hours a day she was winning hand over fist! Anything she didn't want got eBayed or GumTreed!

user0000000001 Sat 08-Apr-17 16:29:45

I've signed up too smiley... haven't had chance to look in detail yet and may not for the next week. It strikes me as something that seems a bit complicated the first few times you do it, then it's easy?

MaidOfStars Sat 08-Apr-17 16:32:22

Place marking as I researched it ages ago and today, have decided to actually give it a try.

MaidOfStars Sat 08-Apr-17 16:32:46

As in 'made a decision' today, not 'tried it' today.

LettuceMash Sat 08-Apr-17 16:34:49

How much do you need to get started?

smileygrapefruit Sat 08-Apr-17 16:37:29

Yes, I've watched the 15 min video and read all the intro stuff. I think I get the general idea but I think the first few times will be complicated...lots of tabs open, going back and forth. I'm waiting for kids to go to bed then will give it a go. I'll check in when I've done it! If anyone does it before then please let us know how it goes!

MaidOfStars Sat 08-Apr-17 16:37:49

The maths works - there is no downside, assuming you make no mistakes.

You need a bit of a float to start with - £50-£100 - to buffer your lay bets. You'll make around the same back in your matched bet, of course, if you have to pay out on your lay bet.

wheatchief Sat 08-Apr-17 16:42:51

It's not hard once you've got your head around it although once the easy sign up offers are finished it takes a bit more money and thought I'd say.

MaidOfStars Sat 08-Apr-17 16:42:59

Maybe we can coordinate our first attempts? Between us, we should be able to cover each other's backs and spit errors etc?

user0000000001 Sat 08-Apr-17 16:44:02

Good idea maid

BeeFarseer Sat 08-Apr-17 16:46:48

I've done it. I made a couple of hundred pounds before I realised I'd need to have a much bigger float.

It's not having the float that trips you up in the beginning because you're constantly waiting for money to clear.

I gave it up in the end because I didn't have the time.

MaidOfStars Sat 08-Apr-17 16:48:46

So Betfair seems to be the recommended lay exchange. There are others but this is the biggest. It seems like the easiest decision to make as a start.

MaidOfStars Sat 08-Apr-17 16:52:07

And you get cash back if you join Betfair via Quidco.

BeeFarseer Sat 08-Apr-17 16:53:16

Start with Betfair.

I absolutely recommend opening cashback accounts too, on Quidco and Topcashback. When you join Betfair and all your bookie accounts, go through a cashback site (after checking the t&c of any bet offers first to make sure you're not invalidating any free bets).

BeeFarseer Sat 08-Apr-17 16:53:39

Hah, great minds.

MaidOfStars Sat 08-Apr-17 16:54:13

Ah, we have a mentor!

CherryChapstik Sat 08-Apr-17 16:57:03

I made £5000 last year in about 6 months. I can do it myself now without having to pay a membership - I was a member of Profit Accumulator which is excellent and very straightforward

CherryChapstik Sat 08-Apr-17 16:59:40

It's better if you have a large bank as then you can tackle the bigger offers - Bet365 was profitable for me and I made £189 from that one. I think I put £2000 in my 'float' and I was lucky to be able to transfer this from my savings account. The bigger your float, the quicker you can work through the large offers

My biggest successes were bingo I'd say. I made £1500 from bingo. Never played bingo before in my life and it was every bit as dull as I imagine : )

BeeFarseer Sat 08-Apr-17 17:01:21

How are you getting on without it, Cherry? How big of a float do you maintain?

I was ill and didn't have the float or the time to keep up with it, so I found my fees for Profit Accumulator were eating into my profit, so it made sense to stop.

I'm thinking about getting back into it but since I've already done most of the intro offers, I need to start doing accumulator bets and the like. And I think I'm going to need at least £300 as a float to start off again.

This thread is not accepting new messages.