Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Husband lost job- money advice please

(6 Posts)
Rose138 Sat 08-Apr-17 13:56:50

Hi everyone,

My husband has just lost his job. We have a two year old and I'm pregnant and due in September with our second child. My husband has never been without work. He is of course looking at every waking moment for a new job. I'm a part time teacher but will be taking my maternity leave in September.

Hopefully something will come up for my husband but I am such a worrier and am just wondering if there is anything you or your husband do from home that has actually turned out to be successful? I'm not sure how I feel about Avon/Body shop party sort of things. I don't feel I have a lot of skills but I do enjoy DIY arts and crafts. My husband has always plastered but can decorate etc too.

Thank you so much in advance

IamRonnieBiggs Sat 08-Apr-17 14:04:35

Can you tutor?

I found when I was unemployed if I had been able to work full time (40 hours) I could have worked straight away through an agency - office work for NHS
I would explore the local agencies - it might not be his ideal job but keeps income coming in and not using his redundancy payment.

Babyroobs Sat 08-Apr-17 14:05:09

Sorry to hear what you are going through. Make sure your dh claims job seekers when he finished work. You may also find you are eligible for tax credits although make sure you contact them when he finds work again or you will end up with an overpayment.
Sorry I'm not sure about work from home. friends/ collegues have never been terribly successful with body shop/ Avon type things but that may just be them.

willconcern Sat 08-Apr-17 14:06:51

If he can plaster & decorate why not set up.his own small business? Can be very lucrative!

LIZS Sat 08-Apr-17 14:15:03

If he's been working as a plasterer does he have contacts in maintenance companies who might be able to subcontract.

Babyroobs Sat 08-Apr-17 18:34:27

Also could he look for temporary work through an agency as these positions can often lead to something more permanent?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now