Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Rent always a week late

(11 Posts)
onlyinshakespeare Thu 06-Apr-17 08:34:34

The tenant in a house I own but let out always pays her rent late.

In fairness she does always pay it but I think I should be a little firmer about it being on time.

Should I have a word with the estate agent who I let it through or directly?

Eatingcheeseontoast Thu 06-Apr-17 08:36:07

I changed the date of payment to fit in with tenants pay day as it was always late. Probably worth having a word.

onlyinshakespeare Thu 06-Apr-17 08:37:34

Well, I tried that but it was still late!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 06-Apr-17 08:38:51

Is there a genuine reason why it's late? Wages /housing benefit payment? I know it should be paid on time but I bet if you acknowledge you are accepting of the new date the tenant will be very grateful (and you will feel all warm inside for making someone's life a little less stressful!) As a tenant myself it brings a sick feeling to my stomach if I know my rent was going to be late. It isn't these days but in days gone by it happened. .

Glossolalia Thu 06-Apr-17 08:41:47

Might be worth asking the EA to speak to the tenant to find out why it's late. Just a fact finding exercise, no pressure etc at this stage.

I think it needs to be highlighted that you realise it's being paid late, otherwise the tenant could become even more complacent.

onlyinshakespeare Thu 06-Apr-17 08:42:18

Oh, honestly I'd be happy with any date as long as I know, but that hasn't worked.

So if you say to her the 15th it goes in on the 17th; rhe 22nd and it will go in on the 24th and so on.

So I do appreciate it's always paid but it does make life difficult for me!

Lunde Thu 06-Apr-17 08:53:14

Is she mistaking the day she pays it in for the date you receive it?

onlyinshakespeare Thu 06-Apr-17 08:54:33

I don't think so ... I think she waits until she's had a reminder from the company and then pays it. As if otherwise we might forget?

Scribblegirl Thu 06-Apr-17 08:56:03

I once had a LL who insisted on seeing the proof of a direct debit set up before keys could be handed over. Any chance you could ask her to do a DD mandate?

SloanePeterson Thu 06-Apr-17 08:58:00

It sounds as if she hadn't understood how a standing order works actually. I used to work in letting sand initially new tenants were always surprised that the standing orders we set up were a few days before the rent was due. God knows how in this day and age, but standing orders still seem to take a few days to get from one place to another. I thought you meant weeks late, a few days late would seem to indicate that it's a banking misunderstanding on the tenants part.

katronfon Thu 06-Apr-17 09:35:46

You could tell her you've taken out landlords' insurance and while you have been okay about being flexible the terms of the insurance insist that if rent is even a day late you must report it to the insurers who will start legal proceedings. Sorry to have to toughen up but not your fault...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now