Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sky contract Husbsnds Left!

(17 Posts)
daisymai08 Tue 04-Apr-17 09:02:35

Hi think we tied into a new contact in March my DH has left and it's £60 a month anyone know how easy it is to get a reduced package - assuming it's tricky!

Notreallyhappy Tue 04-Apr-17 09:04:01

Tell them your oh has moved out and you cant/don't want it. See what they say.

pinkblink Tue 04-Apr-17 09:05:49

Who's name is the account in?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 04-Apr-17 09:11:13

i'd get some male person in and get them to phone and pretend....I'd lay money that Sky will be as awkward as possible if they get a sniff of a cancellation from you saying he has left.

write down all the details they might need...d.o.b, bank details, emails, and have the call on speaker phone so you can prompt them quickly, tell sky he has been sacked, and are cutting costs right back.

daisymai08 Tue 04-Apr-17 11:33:37

Ok fab thanks. X

19lottie82 Tue 04-Apr-17 13:02:20

Tricky situation. If it's in your husbands name then you have no legal obligation to pay it. However if your husband doesn't pay it (I'm assuming he won't, as he's left), and no one else does then if you and your husband have any joint credit accounts, it will have a negative impact on your credit history.

Tondelaya the husband signed a new contract last month, they're not in a position to cancel or reduce their subscription.

19lottie82 Tue 04-Apr-17 13:03:34

You can ask them to reduce the package, they're not under any obligation to do so but there's no harm in asking.

ThouShallNotPass Tue 04-Apr-17 13:08:33

Best bet is to inform them that the person named on the bill (hopefully your husband) has moved out of the property. Then, sign up for your own package (preferably get a friend to recommend you and get £150 pre paid MasterCard each as a welcome gift if they're still doing that).
However, if you don't want your ex to be saddled with the cost of the Sky in his name, call Sky up and speak to them. See what they can do. They're fucking awful to try and leave but if you're lucky they may just reduce your package in order to keep you and keep getting paid.

Theresnonamesleft Tue 04-Apr-17 13:08:49

Don't call them. Do an online chat. The security for that is dire. All you need is the account log in details. They ask you if you are the account holder and that's it.
Phoning you will need a man and the security questions.

daisymai08 Tue 04-Apr-17 17:42:26

No it's in my name unfortunately

delilahbucket Wed 05-Apr-17 15:27:00

They let me change my package in this instance, although it was many years ago.

Rainybo Thu 06-Apr-17 18:36:00

They let my parents reduce to the lowest available package just having signed up when my DF lost his job out of the blue.

Mind you, my DM is scary I'm these sorts of circumstances and I'd offer her anything if I were on the other end of the phone!

When I separated from ex-H, I needed to reduce package with Virgin Media. It wasn't close to sign up, but I do have to say that they were incredibly kind to a me on an online chat and even wished me all the best for the future and to call back if I had any more worries about the package. Sometimes it just depends who you get.

Teabagtits Thu 06-Apr-17 18:39:35

If the contract is in your name then you're contractually obliged to pay for it. I'm assuming you set it up yourself even if with coaxing from your husband.

19lottie82 Fri 07-Apr-17 00:10:14

Again, all you can do is call them up and be super nice / beg. They're under no obligation to assist as you signed a new contract a month ago but you won't know unless you try. Even a few £ a month is better than nothing.

Do you have the sports channels? I think you're only in a month by month contract for those.

GardenGeek Fri 07-Apr-17 00:21:36

Don't have sky but most contracts have a cooling off period. I would call asap to check and cancel.

thetoothfairywhoforgot Fri 07-Apr-17 00:25:55

I worked in a Sky called centre years decades ago. They are trickier than a bag of fish.

Check this out: www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/household-bills/11549715/The-easiest-way-to-cancel-Sky-TV.html

Good luck. At the time some of their practices were pushing the boundaries of legal so do check what they tell you!

19lottie82 Fri 07-Apr-17 00:30:00

Toothfairy I think that applies to customers attempting to cancel when they are out of contract, so not really relevant to the OPs situation

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now