Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bailiffs - is there anything I can do?

(11 Posts)
HulahoopsAreGreat Thu 30-Mar-17 09:18:25

Basically last year I ended up owing the council around £100 in council tax, I went through a lot last year and ended up putting it on the back burner. I moved house last July under Section 21 notice (LL wanted the house back). Recently updated my credit file with my current address and immediately had bailiffs at the door, turns out they had sent a letter to my old address advising me of a court hearing regarding the council tax but I obviously never received this letter or any subsequent or prior letters due to having left. I can prove I left the house in July due to having the section 21 notice. So I never really got a chance to repay the amount owed and because it went to court and enforcement was needed they've added a massive £310 to the bill! I called the council to explain and all they could say is that since no post was ever returned to say I wasn't living there anymore they class is as 'received'. Doesn't seem right.... is there anything I can do?

HulahoopsAreGreat Thu 30-Mar-17 09:20:01

Just to add- I have the money to pay them but just don't want to end up paying anything that I shouldn't really have to. If I'd have received the original letter saying I owe £100 I would have paid it then.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 30-Mar-17 09:21:46

Please Google legal beagles. . There is a statement you can make to court to say that you didn't receive the court summons.
But if you pay council tax currently at new address then surely the council knew you didn't live at the old one??

HulahoopsAreGreat Thu 30-Mar-17 09:27:48

Well you'd think so but somewhere along the line something has gone wrong...

greenlipstick Thu 30-Mar-17 09:32:54

Speak to Citizens Advice, they might be able to help?

scaryteacher Thu 30-Mar-17 09:59:36

That's all in line with the recovery procedures. If the Council have a Liability Order against you, then costs are added for that. If you don't contact them to say you've moved, then correspondence will be sent to the old address. As you haven't contacted them to say you've moved, so no arrangement made to pay the debt, then it's either attachment to earnings or benefits, or referral to the bailiffs with the added costs, as the Council shouldn't pay for the recovery costs.

If you had the original bill and missed the instalments for April, May and June, then you did have the opportunity to pay. It is also possible to be liable for CTax at more than one address.

greenlipstick Thu 30-Mar-17 10:02:48

You aren't meant to be liable at more than one address and if OP moved within the same LA they arguably knew where she moved to.

OP, please go to CAB for accurate advice.

ImYourMama Thu 30-Mar-17 10:06:07

'I put it on the back burner' - why wouldn't you take responsibility for yourself?

The £310 will be fees and interest accrued and you'll have to pay that. Just pay it and learn a lesson.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Thu 30-Mar-17 10:14:53

You didn't pay a debt so you have to pay the associated costs attached to the council recovering the money. The longer you leave it the worse it will be. Just pay it and move on.

delilahbucket Fri 31-Mar-17 22:50:10

To be honest, if you don't pay, you can easily face prison (my ex ignored his council tax court summons after not paying the agreed installments and then got a final warning letter stating if he didn't pay within two weeks he would be sent to prison).
You knew it was owed so rather than fight it, pay up and put it down to a learning curve.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 01-Apr-17 20:25:32

What have you agreed with the Bailiffs Op?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: