Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What car to go for with low budget?

(6 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Wed 29-Mar-17 07:31:47

So we need to now look at having a family car - been looking at Suvs which seem practical for us. We can't decide what option to go with

1) lease from 3rd party
2) lease from dealership
3) buy second hand (save up abit more first, so looking at end of the year)

We currently have £4K saved which we can put down as a deposit but don't know what option to go for. Some advice would be great... also any recommendations on 3rd party leasing companies & Suvs?

Tyia

19lottie82 Wed 29-Mar-17 09:07:12

There's no difference between 1 and 2 really. Third party leasing companies just act as a middleman for the manufacturers.

No one can really advise if 1/2 or 3 is "best", it depends what suits you best.

Of course if you lease the car will never be "yours", but you will always have a new car (under 3 years old) and never have to worry about repairs and associated costs.

19lottie82 Wed 29-Mar-17 09:08:36

I lease a Skoda Yeti from Yes Lease and it's fantastic! I get 8k miles and all the toys with the car for £194 a month. Think you can up it to 10k miles for an extra £9 or something.

Keep an eye on the HUKD website and search "car lease", they have good deals popping up.

WeeM Wed 29-Mar-17 09:16:21

Our most recent purchase we took out a personal loan as it was only 3.3% which was much cheaper than the dealer finance. It depends on whether you are bothered about owning the car at the end. If you aren't then leasing can be a good option as you can get them to cover maintenance etc. If you do a lot of miles though you need to watch what the max mileage in a year is in the lease agreement as it can be costly if you go over it.
£4K is a good deposit to have though!

lovelyupnorth Wed 29-Mar-17 16:30:14

me i'd be looking at spending the 4k, but not big into borrowing money.

Leasing is a good option but you will be forever paying - which is fine if you want that and a new car every 3 years

i'd look at some of the brokers and see what deals are out there rather than which car you want

a couple of months ago you could get a volvo xc60 for about 250.00 per month - but was pulled pretty quickly.

dilapidated Fri 31-Mar-17 18:54:50

I leased a car through a broker for the last two years but got fed up of fixed monthly payments and worrying every time someone dinged it.

So I bought a 3 year old car with a bank loan and I plan on keeping it. The loan repayments are less than the lease and it will be payed off and all mine in the not too distant future

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now