Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

First ever credit card for 24 year old - so much choice, any advice pls

(10 Posts)
EastMids2 Tue 28-Mar-17 17:54:59

I'm not very financially adventurous (been with bank for 40+ years, only ever had one credit card, save before buy old-fashioned sort). DD almost 25 - again not very financially savvy, my fault to a degree - would like to start a credit rating. Never applied for a credit card before and is a bit overwhelmed with choices. She has student loan and earns £18,000pa. Rents a flat, runs a car, no savings. There is no "balance transfer" from anywhere else and DD says she will pay off balance each month. Any suggestions / recommendations very welcome.

Iamdazedandconfused Tue 28-Mar-17 18:02:31

She could make an account on Clear Score which assesses your credit score and then makes recommendations for loans/credit cards etc.

They give you a % estimation of how likely you are to be accepted for different types of cards and they list all the options out so you can compare different interest rates etc.

delilahbucket Tue 28-Mar-17 18:08:00

Money saving expert have a free credit club which will tell her which ones she is likely to be accepted for. She could go for one that earns cashback or points. Make sure she sets up a direct debit to pay it off in full every month.

NoSquirrels Tue 28-Mar-17 18:16:48

She'd be best to start with the bank she has an account with. Advise her to put her petrol on it and pay it off every month without fail. That will build her credit rating.

To be honest, she doesn't need anything with bells and whistles or special features, she just needs something she can prove she is responsible enough to pay off and not be tempted to build debt.

EastMids2 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:42:46

Excellent advice and pointers for the way forward, thank you all. I will pass this on to DD and - who knows - may even be brave enough to do something/switch myself!

Watto1 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:44:49

If she's confident that she will pay it off in full each month, I'd go for one with a good cash back deal.

VacantExpression Wed 29-Mar-17 14:07:58

If shes paying it off in full and doesn't need any features then I'd go for the one with the most attractive benefits- air miles, cashback, Tesco points etc etc and definitely no yearly fee.

19lottie82 Wed 29-Mar-17 16:41:14

Another vote for trying her own bank.
Lenders can be a bit wary if applicants have a limited credit history, but if you've banked with someone for a while they tend to be a bit more lenient.

It's all fair and well posters saying for her to try cards with low interest rates and good benefits but if she doesn't have a good credit history then these may not be an option.

Personally I'd go with my own bank for a year or so making sure it's paid off, then look around for a more attractive deal once credit worthiness has been eatablished.

titchy Wed 29-Mar-17 17:50:57

Mobile phone contract in her name and making sure she's on the electoral role too.

Lexilooo Wed 29-Mar-17 18:05:32

You should both get on moneysavingexpert asap. She can check her credit score and which cards she is likely to be accepted for and compare the deals. You can probably save money too, if you are still with the same bank after 40yrs there are bound to be better deals available to you.

It is an amazing site, not for profit and lots of advice whatever your financial circumstances. If you aren't financially savvy then signing up for the weekly email and reading it will soon get you clued up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now