Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credits while on maternity leave

(3 Posts)
user1490696463 Tue 28-Mar-17 11:31:24

Can anybody advise me on this? I have just discovered I am pregnant, I am not with the father and I am worried about paying my mortgage while on statutory maternity pay. Can i claim tax credits during this time. I have two over children and work full time. My salary is too high for any help but when I go down to £140 a week what will I do?
I would like to go part time after the baby comes so I assume I will be entitled to credits then?
I really worried about continuing the pregnancy.
Any advice on money would be good I have never claimed tax credits or any benefits before.

Babyroobs Tue 28-Mar-17 17:53:04

There is a new rule coming in from April which means if you are making a new claim you cannot claim for more than 2 children so you will only get them for 2 children. How much you get will depend on your wages. £100 of smp is discounted for a certain number of weeks so won't count towards income. You should get child benefit for 3.

Babyroobs Tue 28-Mar-17 17:56:43

You will possibly get help towards childcare when you go back to work but the amount will depend on your salary. For the period of mat leave when you will need to try to estimate your income. They will probably initially give you an award of nil as your earnings for the previous tax year will be too high to qualify. You need to then ring them back with an estimate of your lower earnings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now