Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

car boot sale anyone?

(15 Posts)
Pipsqueak11 Mon 27-Mar-17 20:30:51

dd2 wants to do some fund raising for a school trip to peru . she is gathering some of her stuff and out unwanted stuff and wants to try a car boot sale . i havent been to one before and wondered if anyone could give me an idea of what sells well and how much roughly ,things are priced at. she is selling
paper backs
LPs
some of her clothes - in good condition mostly last years top shop / river island type stuff
some household objects
posters in frames
also i have a hand made quilt i would be willing to part company with
are these the sort of things that sell ?
any advic e on pricing would be helpful .
we are in the east mids .

RayofFuckingSunshine Mon 27-Mar-17 20:33:01

From memory car boot sales are great if you want to get rid of things and aren't too bothered about how much you get for them. People go to get a bargain and are not likely to want to pay more than £1 or so for anything.

DaisyBlameless Mon 27-Mar-17 20:34:14

People want pay peanuts.

Pipsqueak11 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:05:23

ah ok thanks. i might keep my quilt then!!

TupperwareTat Tue 28-Mar-17 07:35:38

The clothes & quilt might be better on gumtree.

Pipsqueak11 Tue 28-Mar-17 07:57:52

Thanks Tupperware - will have a look .

Leatherboundanddown Tue 28-Mar-17 08:00:16

I'd get her to do facebook selling groups instead. Carboots are painful people will barter you from 50p down to 20 for a good quality item. I rarely find them worth the extreme effort and early morning.

19lottie82 Tue 28-Mar-17 09:07:04

I wouldn't bother. You have to get up at 4am and pay £20 for a pitch then have people wanting to buy things for 50p. I'd try Facebook / gumtree /eBay.

EBay is best for things that aren't too bulky and can be posted cheaply. Try selling the top shop and river island clothes in bundles of 3 to 4 items each.

VacantExpression Tue 28-Mar-17 10:20:45

I would try local facebook groups first too, and gumtree great for bigger items

Pipsqueak11 Wed 29-Mar-17 00:47:15

Thanks so much for your tips.will swerve on this. I alwAys thought they sounded hellish!

WatchingFromTheWings Wed 29-Mar-17 00:53:04

I agree with other posters. I did a car boot once, never again! I tried to sell a load of kids clothes, all Next, Gap, M&S. People wanted barely worn coats for a few pence (I was asking for £3!) Found it soul destroying. By the time you pay for the pitch it's not worth it,

user1471511198 Wed 29-Mar-17 01:00:42

in all honesty if she's looking to make money i don't think boot sales are the best place.
though not sure where you are as different areas could vary??
i used to do them (years ago!!) and made decent money but these days don't bother as no-one wants to spend more than about a £1. i even once had a lady steal a brand new top with tags (£85) as i wouldn't give her it for £4 😳

TupperwareTat Wed 29-Mar-17 06:54:23

Facebook selling pages would probably be ok.

I do a local organised indoor baby/child sale (cots, highchairs/large toys) which is great,but there is never anything for adults.

I do carboot sales sometimes. If its £1 they say I will give you 50p. hmm

I might give mine to a charity shop this time, as I have a few bits from a declutter.

When DD is at uni, they may have their own nearly new sales run by the students.

disappearingfish Wed 29-Mar-17 19:24:53

I would go to a local car boot as a reccie-ing exercise. I've found some around me good for getting rid of toys and household stuff at reasonable prices. But second hand clothes don't sell at all.

I clear the house of unwanted stuff into the van, then go straight to the charity shop after the car boot sale, then straight on to the tip. It never gets back into the house.

Pipsqueak11 Tue 04-Apr-17 23:36:53

Thanks all - great advice . I'm off for a reccie at the weekend

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now