Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credit overpayment

(20 Posts)
abimumofone Mon 27-Mar-17 20:12:42

I looked on my online tax credits account today as it's nearly the end of the tax year and was going through each section. I went into childcare and it asked am I paying for childcare? I selected no as daughter started school in September it then asked when did I stop paying. I quickly realised I forgot to inform hmrc of this change as I'm a busy single mum trying to work. It honestly didn't cross my mind as my only child was starting school. I would need to pay back around 7 months - how do they do this? And do I need to call them now or wait until my form comes through to renew? Thank you!

frazzled3ds Mon 27-Mar-17 20:18:07

They'll get in touch and tell you what you owe, and then either deduct it off your next award or set up a repayment schedule with you.

frazzled3ds Mon 27-Mar-17 20:19:33

Sorry posted too soon - if you've updated it online you won't need to do anything else, it'll filter through and you'll get updates via the post. If you're not sure though do give them a call in a few days to check they've got it all updated their end.

Babyroobs Mon 27-Mar-17 20:20:54

Did you not notice you were getting all that excess money to pay for childcare you were no longer using ! ? You will need to pay it back from your current award.

cattychatty Mon 27-Mar-17 21:36:58

I had to pay mine back before the end of the financial year in the exact same circumstances. They didn't care that I would struggle they stopped my payments straight away. If you can op try and get to April before you have to inform them they may give you a year to make the repayments.

MrsSkeffington Mon 27-Mar-17 21:46:53

Can I ask on the section where it says childcare providers does its show them online? Mine doesn't show any providers - does that make sense?

deardarlingg Mon 27-Mar-17 22:07:47

Mrsskef - my online tc is the same; i cant see any childcare info and i need to update

MrsSkeffington Mon 27-Mar-17 22:34:51

I don't have any childcare but i suddenly got in a faff that it was on there but I didn't know it lol! I have told them though that I don't

deardarlingg Tue 28-Mar-17 06:45:25

I think its there anyway, i'm confused as to why mines not

frazzled3ds Tue 28-Mar-17 07:27:05

It doesn't show the details other than when you make a change e.g. It will ask for the postcode of your previous provider. If in any doubt though, make yourself a cuppa, get comfy and give them a ring....it can take a while to get through (yet to find the best time to call them!)

TupperwareTat Tue 28-Mar-17 07:32:43

I ring about 08.15am on my day off & get straight through.

I cant access childcare on my online account either?

deardarlingg Tue 28-Mar-17 08:01:32

I don't even have the option to make a childcare change on there.
Tuppa, do you receive the childcare element and still unable to see it on there?

TupperwareTat Tue 28-Mar-17 08:53:20

I can see working & childcare weekly amounts. But I have no way of being able to change any details apart from address. Unless its because Im on my mobile?

deardarlingg Tue 28-Mar-17 09:28:35

Thats exactly the same as mine, i'm on mobile too.

Afreshstartplease Tue 28-Mar-17 09:32:00

I can make all changes on my mobile

I added childcare on yesterday so it hasn't been applied yet so no help there I'm afraid

deardarlingg Tue 28-Mar-17 09:46:18

Im wondering if it was because i updated a few months ago on line and it took ages, in the end i had to ring them and they said something like "it hadn't gone through", even though from my side it looked like it had.
I need to update again in a few weeks.

Afreshstartplease Tue 28-Mar-17 09:51:07

I get a text or email when changes made online go through

deardarlingg Tue 28-Mar-17 10:08:58

Ah when i last updated on line i never received a text or email so must be a problem with mine. I can still see my scheduled payments

Afreshstartplease Tue 28-Mar-17 10:11:12

Yeah I've made changes three times online before (added a baby , added dps job , changed income) and each time been notified when new payments are visible online. It tends to be within a week too.

Added childcare yesterday so hopefully that'll be sorted within a week too

Note3 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:59:33

I write to them to make changes to tax credits. I accrued an overpayment after phoning details through and them not updating their end then me unable to prove what I'd said. I now write and keep copies of all letters so if they make a mistake again I can prove what I've said and when. Much easier to pop a letter in the post than to sit on hold for 30 to 45 mins like I normally do!

For your overpayment OP they want the money asap but if it will cause you hardship they will offer a payment plan up to a maximum of 3 yrs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now