Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits overpayment

(4 Posts)
abiigrant Mon 27-Mar-17 20:10:20

I looked on my online tax credits account today as it's nearly the end of the tax year and was going through each section. I went into childcare and it asked am I paying for childcare? I selected no as daughter started school in September it then asked when did I stop paying. I quickly realised I forgot to inform hmrc of this change as I'm a busy single mum trying to work. It honestly didn't cross my mind as my only child was starting school. I would need to pay back around 7 months - how do they do this? And do I need to call them now or wait until my form comes through to renew? Thank you!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Mon 27-Mar-17 20:14:30

You should get a separate overpayment information page.
Then a few weeks later a demand payment sheet. .
Overpayment has its own phone option and can spread the repayments.
I am repaying £1700 @£15 a month -

user1490123259 Mon 27-Mar-17 20:16:40

may be best to call them and tell them. They will find out, and you don't want it to look like you are trying to hide it. I paid back an overpayment over about 5 years

deardarlingg Mon 27-Mar-17 20:51:48

My daughter is due to stop
Childcare soon but i cant find the option to update the childcare
Details online, i can only see option to update address
Anyone know why?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: