Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

First Direct won't now let me have accounts in maiden and married names

(14 Posts)
sameshoestwice Sun 26-Mar-17 20:52:57

I have been a customer of First Direct for over 20 years and always had accounts in my maiden name, used for personal expenses and earnings, and married name, used for all family expenditure, household bills etc. They've now been in touch to say I can't have two accounts in different names any more because they are tightening up on security. They want me to choose one of the names, and they will then close the other account.
I have documents and accounts in both names, and changing to either of them will involve and enormous amount of hassle. My main ID docs - passport and driving licence - are both in married name, but if push came to shove I would opt to use maiden name only, as that's the one most people know me by. I also find that I am very reluctant to let go of either name, for emotional reasons.
I really want to carry on banking in both names, but if I can only hold a bank account in one of them, I think the amount of use I give to the other will dwindle. Anyone else got this problem, or can suggest a solution?

ReedBunting Sun 26-Mar-17 20:55:17

Perhaps switch one of your accounts to a different provider before they close it. Some offer a cash bonus to switch.

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Sun 26-Mar-17 21:16:52

This is probably about money laundering security and will have something to do with FD giving you a unique CIN to identify you, they are probably now having to have one CIN per customer and cant link it to two different names in their security systems to show you are one and the same person IYSWIM. It's probably tightening security to stop people opening accounts, in multiple identities, for fraudulent purposes. If you have ID for both names you should be able to open an account in your maiden name at a different banking institution but, tbh, if FD are now tightening security in this way the rest will probably follow so you can probably no longer (or very soon) have two accounts in different names at the same bank.

Trills Sun 26-Mar-17 21:18:30

I can see why they would be reluctant to let one person have accounts in two names.

At least they are giving you the choice, and not insisting that your married name is your "real" name, or any bullshit like that.

allegretto Sun 26-Mar-17 21:20:14

I don't think it's unfair to ask you to choose. I am a bit confused why you changed your ID docs if you are not actually using your married name. Sounds like a bit of a hassle!

ny20005 Sun 26-Mar-17 21:23:58

Money laundering - choose a name or move one name to another bank 🙄

sameshoestwice Sun 26-Mar-17 21:34:47

It's tricky, as I realise now that it's not clear how much of a choice I'm being given - it all happened on an unexpected phone call and I need to get clarification. Thanks for all replies

MrsCurly Sun 26-Mar-17 21:36:13

Same thing happened to me with a different bank. I moved one of my accounts to a different provider.

ImYourMama Sun 26-Mar-17 21:45:54

No bank or building society would allow you to open accounts in 2 different names. And the name on your bank account doesn't dictate the name people know you by hmm

Ta1kinPeace Mon 27-Mar-17 15:34:22

I have bank accounts in two names.

If my bank forced me to close one I'd shut both the accounts and then open accounts with two different banks in the two names.

It is perfectly legal and surprisingly common to have two names.
The bank are being daft.

specialsubject Mon 27-Mar-17 19:00:35

first direct are part of HSBC and both are very hot on all this - unfortunately neither have IT, websites or back office systems that can cope.

switch one account to another bank offering an incentive. Loyalty is for suckers.

specialsubject Mon 27-Mar-17 19:01:16

oh yes - you phone them, that unexpected call may not be them!

hellotoyellow Wed 29-Mar-17 15:42:17

From bitter experience - keep the one in your known as name. I was unable to open an account in my known as name as passport in married name - so will be easier to open that one elsewhere!

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Wed 29-Mar-17 15:47:46

I had this ages ago when my DM chose to register the DC's premium bonds in my married name (which I never use). Took me forever to unpick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now