Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone work in banking - who is paying money into account?

(7 Posts)
h0rsewithn0name Sun 26-Mar-17 08:10:07

My Mum has started to notice payments being credited into her bank account, but she doesn't know who they are from. She does have a few minor investments, so it is possible they are linked, but she hasn't had any correspondence and really doesn't know.

The payments range from £5 to £50, once or twice a month. They started in May. They come in on random dates and are always for different amounts. The reference is always a different long number followed by the letters RAS. Googling doesn't come up with much at all.

If she goes into her branch, will they be able to delve deeper? Obviously I've told her not to spend any of it for now, but more than anything it's a mystery that we'd like to solve.

Thanks for reading. Any ideas?

MollyHuaCha Sun 26-Mar-17 08:21:17

Could it be something like share dividends she has arranged to have paid into her account rather than be sent cheques?

h0rsewithn0name Sun 26-Mar-17 08:25:41

Thank you Molly, I did wonder that but she is adamant she doesn't give her bank details to anyone. She is normally very sharp but I guess her age may be catching up with her.

Redyellowpinkblue Sun 26-Mar-17 08:26:39

Yes if she goes into branch they'll be able to find out. I used to work for Santander and we were able to see creditors bank account name and bank details.

Gracey79 Sun 26-Mar-17 08:28:24

Check her direct debits they could refund her without giving bank details out through the direct debit scheme

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 26-Mar-17 08:32:20

A couple of small paymemts a month over quite a few months doesnt sound like divisends or refunded DDs they would not be so regular. The bank will be able to find the account they are coming from. Does the statement show how they are being made i.e BACS or cash etc?

h0rsewithn0name Sun 26-Mar-17 08:45:33

Thanks all. It says that the payments were made by giro. I'll suggest she has a trip to the bank to query it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now