Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Extra Tax Credits for school holiday childcare?

(16 Posts)
SouthernComforts Tue 21-Mar-17 21:33:24

My DD is in year two and I work full time, I use holiday club for 6-7 weeks a year which costs £700-800 per year.

A client at work told me she gets extra tax credits in the weeks she uses childcare. I rang HMRC today and was told to call back 7 days before each holiday club week and tell them I am using short term childcare and they will contribute up to 70% in that weeks payment shock.

I don't expect to get anything like 70% paid but any help towards paying for holiday club would be amazing.

It sounds a little too good to be true though? Does anybody do this and is it really that simple?


SouthernComforts Fri 24-Mar-17 14:34:04

Quick bump incase anyone can help.

nottakenpersonally Fri 24-Mar-17 14:34:42

Wow that sounds amazing. Watching with interest!

muntcunch Fri 24-Mar-17 14:35:39

I do this, and get 70 percent of my costs paid. But, it depends on your circumstances and income

Afreshstartplease Fri 24-Mar-17 14:36:51

Yes it's just like claiming childcare for a child under school age

The setting needs to be registered though. Sports things etc usually don't apply

SouthernComforts Fri 24-Mar-17 17:43:21

Thanks for the replies. Yes it's a registered nursery with a holiday club attached.

I worked nights when dd was small so I have never claimed childcare for dd, I always assumed it was for under school age children only!

I have to call back Monday. I'm really hoping they don't suspend my tax credits whilst it is processed though..

Babyroobs Fri 24-Mar-17 18:08:13

Any help will depend on your joint household income and the amount of costs incurred. The provider must be Ofsted registered..

dadap Fri 24-Mar-17 18:09:24

I thought the estimated cost for both term time and holiday was spread out over the year - so basically you total - amounts over the number of weeks you will use - e.g.
Weekly Term time x 39 weeks plus weekly holiday x 13 weeks - and divide by 52 - to get the average weekly cost for the year - they then use this figure and your income to decide what you will get

dadap Fri 24-Mar-17 18:11:51

In July of the following year you are then asked to confirm your actual income and costs - for previous tax year and then any overpayment is deducted from that current year payments - not sure what they do if you were underpaid though

Babyroobs Fri 24-Mar-17 18:21:45

Yes it should be spread over the year and paid every 4 weeks or weekly . If you only pay for childcare during the school holidays then you have to estimate for the year and divide by 52. If costs go up or down by more than £10 a week then you need to et them know.

Summerisdone Fri 24-Mar-17 18:23:51

As others have pointed out, it's all dependent on eligibility, but you have been told correctly by your friend.
My DS is only 2 so in full time childcare and I get about 60% help towards his nursery costs. my cousin also used to receive tax credit help towards full time nursery costs for her DS and now he's older she gets extra in TC when he is in holiday clubs

SouthernComforts Fri 24-Mar-17 19:32:51


The way my client and the lady at HMRC explained it was the tax credit payment would increase for the actual week (or 2) of holiday club, rather than spread over 52 weeks. Because I only use childcare for a few weeks a year. This is the bit I need clarifying as it seems a very helpful and simple system - not very HMRC like grin

I'll report back when I know!

Afreshstartplease Fri 24-Mar-17 21:01:52

I know they used to ask if the changes would last at least for weeks when I made changes. However this new temporary thing sounds new and I'd be interested to know too!

You can also update your childcare online if you have a government gateway account it's really quick and easy and I find changes go on within a week

SouthernComforts Thu 06-Apr-17 22:00:09

Just to update: Dd has been in holiday club this week. I phoned HMRC on friday, gave them the start and end date for the childcare, the name of the provider and the cost and I received the childcare element in my usual tax credit payment on Wednesday.

I was told to call back a few days before each period of childcare and they will do the same.

Very impessed with how helpful this is for those of us with kids at school.

delilahbucket Sat 08-Apr-17 18:53:42

I had to spread mine out across the year. I added up my entire childcare cost for year and divided it by 52 for the overall cost. To be honest, I couldn't be bothered ringing up all the time for holidays.

anyadviceplease35 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:48:50

This is really good to know as i worried about struggling with childcare when my dd goes to school
In september.

Does any one know, if my dd has to do an extra day in nursery due to my work, could i claim any of that back.
Dd normally does 3 days nursery, but this week has had to do 4 days, so thats an extra £41 this month for that extra day?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: