Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What are the most pressing personal finance issues for women?

(35 Posts)
user1490116531 Tue 21-Mar-17 20:27:54

I've been asked to make a presentation to women age 25-45 about money on debts or money management or investing or wealth building etc. I can’t seem to see the wood for the trees. What do you wish you'd been taught about money at school/home or what do you think is important for women to learn about personal finance or what do you think is the pressing personal finance desire/issues for us women?

lionsleepstonight Tue 21-Mar-17 21:35:14

I wish I understood investing. Stocks, bonds etc. Also, pensions.

Babyroobs Tue 21-Mar-17 21:44:19

Pensions ( or lack of it !).

sooperdooper Tue 21-Mar-17 21:45:26

I wish I'd be told to save a % of my salary and not get into stupid credit card debts sad

Gazelda Tue 21-Mar-17 21:47:24

Future planning, i.e. Considerations for all life stages. But pensions in particular.

Jasharps Tue 21-Mar-17 21:49:10

Investment, stocks, bonds etc

Destinysdaughter Tue 21-Mar-17 21:51:07

Understanding interest rates and not to get store cards!

And still don't know what an ISA is...

flirtygirl Tue 21-Mar-17 21:51:19

That saving is key.
Save save then save some more.

Holiday fund, emergency fund, rainy day fund, investment pot and so on.

museumum Tue 21-Mar-17 21:54:23

Pensions - including wtf we're supposed to do now the annuities market is fucked.
NICs for time taken out of the workforce.
Maternity SMP/MA how enhanced pay works
ISAs (stocks and shares)
Mortgages

All my financial education was in the days when savings earned ok interest and when a half decent pension pot could buy a decent annuity. I feel totally behind the times now.

Destinysdaughter Tue 21-Mar-17 21:56:41

Not to give up your career when you have kids?

ArchNotImpudent Tue 21-Mar-17 21:58:04

Another vote for pensions here. I understand how mine works, but I'd welcome advice on how to get more out of it!

BIWI Tue 21-Mar-17 22:03:43

How to develop your own financial security, so that you're not dependent upon a partner

Owllady Tue 21-Mar-17 22:05:52

Planning for your future

Backingvocals Tue 21-Mar-17 22:06:44

Financial independence - make it a priority if you can and if you can't, be very, very cautious about your arrangements

Compound interest - how it works in your favour

There are no shortcuts and there is no free money

Thirtyrock39 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:07:12

Second not giving up career for kids. Even if partner earns well two incomes make a massive difference and it's very hard to get back in the ladder after a gap.
Also to budget realistically especially with mortgage payments
Be aware that a lot of people's glamorous lifestyles are funded through debt
Savings what are those?!!!

NewIdeasToday Tue 21-Mar-17 22:07:41

The fact that women are still underpaid and undervalued in the workplace. Which has implications for their earning power and pensions.

Rainbowshine Tue 21-Mar-17 22:12:22

How to budget well
How loans work/credit e.g. Interest rates and how there can be "good " credit and "bad", for example the risks of taking out a pay day loan
Investments
Pensions

inmyshoos Tue 21-Mar-17 22:18:15

I'll echo the not giving up on your career when you have kids, at least not completely.
Being financially dependant on a partner imo takes away so much of your independance and affects your self esteem.
I'm very glad I was abke to get on the mortgage ladder at 21 and had a wee bit of capital before I had kids. At least now despite having ten yrs at home (and a huge dent in my confidence) I still have something to fall back on financially.

Antiopa12 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:19:25

Do not become a long term carer for a family member. You will be paid a pittance that is Carers Allowance for doing 100 plus hours a week , you will find it extremely difficult to re enter the workforce if and when your caring duties finish and when you reach state retirement age you will not have a workplace pension and have to exist ion the state pension.

Antiopa12 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:22:14

just to add also that if you become a long term Carer any savings will be spent over the years keeping your head above water, you may end up in debt and your health is likely to be negatively affected

Topnotes Tue 21-Mar-17 22:25:12

Another vote for pensions here!

Summerof85 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:32:05

I have always worked, since I was 14. I think it's very important for women to have some financial independence. When I met my DH, I had a property, he didn't and I was the higher earner. I'm part time now due to the kids but I still have my own money. Some men use money as a way to control women, not my DH, but have seen it happen to other family members.

oleoleoleole Tue 21-Mar-17 22:35:16

Life insurance
Savings, investments
Pensions
Mortgages, especially difference between joint tenants and tenants in common
Maintaining financial independence
Benefits

kittybiscuits Tue 21-Mar-17 22:36:35

What rainbowshine said

extend Tue 21-Mar-17 22:36:43

Another vote for retirement planning (i.e. Not just pensions but stock market too)

That loans and credit cards WILL have to be paid off at some point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now