Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Should my partner move in before his divorce?

(3 Posts)
Snowfire Tue 21-Mar-17 19:15:35

DP and I have been together for a year and have recently been discussing moving in together. He separated from his wife around 18 months ago and at the time, he took out a large mortgage to buy her out of their home and she has bought another house. DP pays the agreed amount of maintenance each month and things seem to be reasonable between them. The agreement was that after the 2 years is up, they will divorce.
I was talking to a friend recently and telling them how DP is moving in and she was concerned that his ex would then change her financial claim as he would then be better off than he would be living alone. Should this be a concern? He hasn't discussed our plans with her yet so I have no idea how she would feel about it. I don't want to push him to get a divorce as I don't want to feel like I'm creating conflict but would it be better if it was finalised before he moves in?

iogo Tue 21-Mar-17 19:17:51

I think it would be tbh. I'd wait.

Moanyoldcow Tue 21-Mar-17 21:01:59

Definitely wait - it's just cleaner and saves any ambiguity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now