Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits stopped

(49 Posts)
RoundKite Tue 21-Mar-17 08:14:30

I had my child tax credit stopped, I have appealed the decision but it's 2 weeks later and I've had to live on £146 income support. I've had to stop buying food just so my newborn doesn't go without formula and my toddler without nappies 😭 what can I do?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 21-Mar-17 08:20:50

What reason did they give for stopping your claim?

EweAreHere Tue 21-Mar-17 08:22:06

Why did they stop it?

RoundKite Tue 21-Mar-17 08:31:44

Sorry I forgot to put that, they for some reason looked into my history I think and seen that I have a joint housing benefit claim with my ex. The house is in my name (council house, got it together when I was pregnant in April 2014) but then they wanted proof he hasn't been living here, I've sent them every document going (he moved out August 2014) I've only just had my 22nd child 4 weeks ago so everything is still quite stressful
I've tr8ed contacting them but they are a nightmare to get through to on the phone

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 21-Mar-17 08:36:12

Go and see the council and ask to do a statement regarding when he moved out. He will have been taken off your council tax bill as well as the Hb. Photo copy all the signed statements and send them to tax credits.

RoundKite Tue 21-Mar-17 08:38:42

He is still on the council tax bill, when I went to get a copy of housing benefit and my tenancy, they said I wasn't to worry about his name being on ct billangry and actually I've just had my newest ct for April but his name is on that too

GreenGoblin0 Tue 21-Mar-17 08:59:53

When did he move out?

you should ask for a referral to a food bank whilst you are waiting

is your exp paying maintenance?

RoundKite Tue 21-Mar-17 09:01:22

August 2014, no doesn't pay maintenance

GreenGoblin0 Tue 21-Mar-17 09:02:26

sorry I've just seen he moved out in Aug 2014- don't understand why he's still on ct bill and why you have joint HB claim ?

is he the father of your 2nd child?

Babyroobs Tue 21-Mar-17 09:02:54

I suspect they will be suspicious because he is still on tenancy, and as you have a new baby they will be suspicious that you are in a relationship still, if not with him then with your new baby's dad ! can you send them evidence of your ex partners new address or any tenancy agreement on his new place?

RoundKite Tue 21-Mar-17 09:05:04

I don't know either, the second he moved out I phoned the council and I assumed that would mean his name would be taken off eveything. But when I went to get a copy of hb payments for tax credits that was in my name so I'm confused. I admit I'm naive as f and I don't understand how all this works, his name is probably on countless things but I don't know how to find out or how to change it
No he's not

Babyroobs Tue 21-Mar-17 09:10:23

I suspect you having had a new baby has triggered them investigating ( it often does) as they will suspect you are now in a relationship. All you can do is get him removed from any joint accounts/ tenancies and send in evidence. unfortunately these things can take a while to sort out. Can the dad of your new baby help out financially with baby milk, nappies etc? Speak to your health visitor asap , they may be able to give milk vouchers, food bank voucher etc

RoundKite Tue 21-Mar-17 09:11:09

I know it looks dodgy as f, he like lives in a shed of a friend of his mums so he won't have a tenancy agreement or anything like that

Babyroobs Tue 21-Mar-17 09:12:20

I also don't understand why your ex is on the council tax bill from 2014. Does this mean you haven't been getting the single person discount all this time? (assuming you have been single since he left in 2014).

GreenGoblin0 Tue 21-Mar-17 09:12:49

why is your first childs dad not paying maintenance ?

are you in a relationship with baby's dad?

RoundKite Tue 21-Mar-17 09:12:59

They were investigating me from December but everywhere shut for the 2 weeks so had to wait until January to be able to phone. Then only got told end of January that they were being stopped
Baby's dad got sacked from work for taking so much time off to care for me sad I've been in hospital before the labour, having blood transfusions and scans

RoundKite Tue 21-Mar-17 09:14:35

He doesn't have enough money to pay anything to me
Nope sadly not

Babyroobs Tue 21-Mar-17 09:17:38

I'm assuming you have Income support coming in and 2 lots of child benefit. You will need to prioritise this for food and council tax. Other non essential bills will have to wait until things are sorted out.

GreenGoblin0 Tue 21-Mar-17 09:18:45

Where is babys dad living?

RoundKite Tue 21-Mar-17 09:18:56

I'm still waiting to hear from child benefit. I've only had 1 income support payment since my money was stopped, not due again until a few days time but still it's hard

GreenGoblin0 Tue 21-Mar-17 09:20:28

sorry am confused - are in a relationship with the babies dad or not? if so where is he living?

IfNotNowThenWhenever Tue 21-Mar-17 09:22:40

It's going to be really tricky to prove ex is not living with you if he is currently living in a shed! He isn't still getting his post to your house is he? You need to make sure all his post, bank statements, credit card bills, anglers weekly, whatever, is NOT being sent to your address. Also, take him off any bills-he might still be named on the water bill for example.
My guess though(like pp) is they have stopped your tax credits because you have a new baby.
The new rules seem to be saying that if you are considered to be a "couple" even if you don't live together then they would see that as needing to be a joint claim. Which is difficult, as if you have 2 lots of bills and rent you are not reaping the financial benefits of being in a couple. So, make sure your current bf is not getting post to your house, and can prove he isn't living with you.

RoundKite Tue 21-Mar-17 09:30:31

Baby's dad lives with his dad, no post in his name comes to me it never has. We never lived together
No post for my ex comes here

Introvertedbuthappy Tue 21-Mar-17 09:30:41

I don't think they would tell you 'not to worry' that your ex's name is on a CT bill if he doesn't actually live there! As previous posters have said it would mean you'd not be benefiting from the single person's discount and your ex would be liable for non-payment!
You really need to remove his name from bills, redirect any post or write 'not known at this address' and pop back in the post box. When you live independently with two young children who rely on you then naivity is not a valid excuse IMO.

Introvertedbuthappy Tue 21-Mar-17 09:32:34

Would the friend whose shed your ex lives in write something to that effect? (That he is living in the shed). Unfortunately it does sound pretty unbelievable. Does he have any post going to his shed? Could that be submitted as evidence?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now