Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Debt relief order and going to uni

(6 Posts)
Moneyhelpneeded2017 Sun 19-Mar-17 16:46:34

Hello,

I'm just looking for some advice please. Dh is looking at possibly doing a DRO via Stepchange, as they've advised this may be the best option for him. However, he is looking at going back to uni in September (trying to look to the future to be able to get higher paid job), so would this affect the DRO at all? I'm thinking in terms of him getting the grant to study and student loans. Thanks

MakeJam Mon 20-Mar-17 08:33:15

The best people to ask would be the advisors at StepChange. They are very knowledgeable.

Becca19962014 Mon 20-Mar-17 11:08:34

Grants don't exist anymore - those who qualified get a higher loan. You mention going back to uni, is this after a year out? Or has he already got degree level qualifications? If he has degree level qualifications he won't get anything to do another - he'll need to self fund. Just in case he's thinking of a masters, the masters loan is only for those living in England.

Becca19962014 Mon 20-Mar-17 11:12:48

CAB info on DRO www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/debt-solutions/debt-relief-orders/debt-relief-orders-explained/debt-relief-orders-what-you-need-to-know/

You can't borrow more than £500.

I posted above too soon.

greenlipstick Tue 28-Mar-17 00:04:21

Actually it just says you can't borrow more than £500 without disclosing the DRO.

Call StepChange and ask them?

vanillablue Tue 28-Mar-17 00:14:29

I had no issues getting a student loan when I was bankrupt, so it is likely to be fine with a DRO as well. I had to tell the SLC that I was bankrupt, but they were fine with it. I wasn't able to get any grants, but I could get a bursary and hardship funds from my uni as well, as it was clear to them that I wasn't able to borrow money to support myself (I was rejected for a student bank account). The OR wasn't able to take any money from my student loans to pay towards the bankruptcy - in the end it meant that I didn't have to make any payments at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now