Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

NHS pension withdrawal?

(2 Posts)
anonnamechange03 Sun 19-Mar-17 11:30:47

I am an NHS employee from overseas and been here for less than 2 years. DH and I are not likely to stay in the UK permanently, but might. I am paying about £170 into the pension per month and our finances are quite tight at present. I read online that I can leave the pension scheme before my 2 year anniversary and have my contributions refunded. I am 33.

If we do stay permanently, can I rejoin the scheme at a later date? I am aware I will have to pay tax on refunded contributions but are there other penalties I will face monthly? Are there other things to think about or consider? The scheme says that I can receive my contributions if I move overseas but everything I've found online (Money Saving Expert, etc) says that the money can't actually be transferred, esp if you are an overseas person/not UK citizen.

Ta1kinPeace Sun 19-Mar-17 11:52:09

Talk to your HR department. They will have the correct information for your scheme.
NHS pensions are unfunded DB schemes so not comparable with normal pensions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now