Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

To licence fine

(2 Posts)
Moneyprobs123 Sat 18-Mar-17 22:44:12

I'm just wanting some advice. A few weeks ago I had a bailiff knock on the door saying he had come to remove good for an unpaid tv licence fine from 2015. I didn't even know I had a court fine to pay (sometimes I don't receive my post as I have a letterbox lock due to previous dv). This came as a massive shock to me but none the less I let him in to have a look. He said he couldn't remove goods as there was nothing close to the value of the fine and he would return it to court. I rang the court the day after (due to it been a Sunday when the bailiff came) and they've set a new date for a hearing for this week. I'm so scared as I have other debts too. At the time the fine was set I was in financial hardship (a single parent on benefits) & I don't have much money coming in now as I don't work but my partner does. I'm really worried I'll go to a prison 😱 I have two young children & tbh I never even thought of paying the to licence (stupid I know) but I had a lot on my plate at that time. I'd just come out of a violent relationship & my lo was very poorly at the time. I'm in no way making excuses & I'm really worried about what will happen. Anyone know what might happen?

JoJoSM2 Sun 19-Mar-17 00:40:29

No idea what might happen. But I can't see that you could possibly go to prison. Perhaps they'll just ask you to pay the fine + some costs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now