Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Moorcroft debt recovery-help!

(6 Posts)
thebakerwithboobs Sat 18-Mar-17 00:02:18

I received a letter today from Moorcroft asking me to contact them. Not knowing who they were, I did so and they told me a debt I owe to O2 has been passed to them. I was unaware of any debt to O2. I previously had a dongle with them which I paid for monthly but I called them in August 2017, paid £7 which was the 'release fee' and haven't used it since. I remember the conversation clearly and have the email which gives the reference number of the payment. Moorcroft have said this is not evidence that I don't owe them money (the amount is essentially the monthly fee for the dongle since August-but I called to cancel the bloody thing!). They said O2 will not talk to me about it as they sold the debt to them but I know I don't owe it and that should be on O2's records, surely? O2 have made no moves to contact me at all as far as I am aware and my telephone number/email has not changed so there's no reason why they wouldn't use this if they wanted to speak to me. What can I do? I don't want to part with £100 for the sake of it but, equally, I don't want to find bailiffs at my door. I've just checked my credit file and sure enough it's on there. Any advice would be gratefully received.

RedastheRose Sat 18-Mar-17 00:11:53

Difficult situation for you, either go see citizens advice or contact

ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/landcomplain

RedastheRose Sat 18-Mar-17 00:16:46

First I would contact O2 though and say you want to make a formal complaint and ask about their complaints procedures.

Don't pay Moorcroft but do write to them, tell them that you dispute that there is a debt and that any expenses they incur will be at their cost. Send the letter recorded delivery and keep a copy of the letter and delivery notice.

thebakerwithboobs Sat 18-Mar-17 00:23:39

Thank you both. So worrying, never had bad credit in my life!

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Sat 18-Mar-17 00:34:06

Yes, agree with red. I battled Moorcroft years ago, over money I allegedly owed a mobile phone company. I refused to accept this was my debt, and absolutely blinded them with so much legal jargon, they gave up hounding me. Don't give into them, and don't panic.

thebakerwithboobs Sat 18-Mar-17 09:33:39

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I called o2, explained, they immediately said it was their error for the incorrect application of terminations fees. The lady removed them, pulled the letter back from Moorcroft, apologised profusely and gave me the email address to amend my credit score! I wish I had seen the letter earlier yesterday as it would have saved me a lot of fretting! Thank you for taking time to reply though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now