Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Part time money

(8 Posts)
Babasaclover Fri 17-Mar-17 20:28:45

Tips please.

Really really want to go part time.

Everyone says oh you'll adjust to money...... but how. What tips please. What do you cut back on? I don't want to miss out on my kids while childhood but not sure where to start with making part time money work?

Ginmakesitallok Fri 17-Mar-17 20:33:17

Well it depends on whether you've got enough family income to cover your outgoings. I went pt 7 years ago - now looking to increase my hours again.

Meloncoley2 Fri 17-Mar-17 21:03:23

You pay less tax and national insurance as a start. And because your quality of life is better you may find you don't buy as much 'stuff' to cheer yourself up.

Believeitornot Fri 17-Mar-17 21:06:22

Well have you done the sums? How comfortable now are you?

Believeitornot Fri 17-Mar-17 21:06:41

Well have you done the sums? How comfortable now are you?

RandomMess Fri 17-Mar-17 21:09:19

Work out what you will actually receive (it will be more than a direct %age of your salary reduced due to more of it being tax free).

Start living off that level of income now for a few months and save the rest...

Tobuyornot99 Fri 17-Mar-17 21:09:56

You can do things to save money that time poor people can't, like stop having a cleaner if you have one, cook from scratch rather than expensive convenience foods, trudge around Aldi rather than have home shopping from a more expensive supermarket.
You'll also save on tax / NI / commuting costs etc

BikeRunSki Fri 17-Mar-17 21:13:26

You won't be spending money on tights, dry cleaning, Starbucks' at the station..... childcare too if you have it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now