Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

CSA or Lawyer

(6 Posts)
kulikova Fri 17-Mar-17 16:46:05

Hello ,

Anyone could advise on wether it's better to go through CSA or get a lawyer for child maintenance? The farther of my daughter has not been paying for 6 months ( she is 6 months old ). He paid for one month ( as agreed ) but then said he was having cash flow issues and will pay soon . It's been going for so long now that I do not believe him anymore.

I have called CSA they explained their process but I would like to hear from an experience to decide if a lawyer would be a better option , albeit a more expensive one .

Thank you

delilahbucket Mon 20-Mar-17 22:52:52

The CMS have more powers to deduct it from him. All a solicitor would do is go back and forth to court to enforce. The CMS will just take it from his wage/benefits. Don't delay getting the process started.

kulikova Tue 21-Mar-17 08:54:56

Thank you delilahbucket . Just called CSM half application has done, will finalise later on today when they call me back. I waited for 6 months as he kept saying he would pay but only paid for 1.5 months . Should have done earlier but really thought he would pay as we had "family based arrangement ". CSM said they won't backdate just from the date the application was made . Oh well .

kulikova Fri 19-May-17 16:09:13

Finally I got a paper from CMS stating that based on my daughters fathers income 2016 he had 14£ a week and hense my daughter is entitled to £2.33 a week ... what do you ?? He can't be living on 14 £ a week ... plus sending his other two kids to private school

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Fri 19-May-17 18:23:22

I think you have to ask them to carry out a variation someone else might come along who knows the proper term. You could also employ a forensic accountant

Ellisandra Mon 22-May-17 11:52:11

Is he a higher earner who is self employed or has his own company, and is hiding money?

Is he paying maintenance (including school fees) by private agreement to the mother of the other children?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now