Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Cuts to widowed parents allowance

(11 Posts)
user1487172658 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:42:26

Hi I'm not sure if many people are aware of the cut the government are making next month to widowed parents allowance. It will affect many struggling bereaved parents in the future. I have began a petition on change.org to hopefully put pressure on the government to not go ahead with this cut. I will post a link for the petition, please have a read and sign it. Thank you.

user1487172658 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:42:39

www.change.org/p/the-rt-hon-damian-stop-cuts-to-widowed-parents-allowance-in-april-2017?recruiter=682333289&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Babyroobs Wed 15-Mar-17 22:40:13

I think it is happening from April 6th. I think the initial lump sum payment will be bigger but the payments will last for less time. There was a very long thread on this subject in AIBU recently.

Babyroobs Wed 15-Mar-17 22:52:35

Personally I think it might be better for these payments to be means tested. Many widowed parents will have been covered by life insurance payments and have their mortgage paid off in the event of a spouse's death. They might then also have access to tax credits etc. If myself or my dh were to die we would have no mortgage and both our employers would pay out a death in service payment. I think it should be reserved for the poorest who have no back up/ insurance etc rather than just the same payout for everyone lasting many years.

disappearingfish Wed 15-Mar-17 23:48:17

I think people need to get life insurance. It's not that expensive.

Babyroobs Wed 15-Mar-17 23:58:50

There will always be some people who cannot afford life insurance and I do think the bereavement payments should last a good few years for the poorest families and those renting. The last thing bereaved families need is to have to move home or have their remaining parent have to work long hours.

disappearingfish Thu 16-Mar-17 00:10:37

Then there's means tested benefits if you can't afford insurance.

It's desperately sad, but insurance should be factored in to any mortgage costs. Anything else is just madness.

SailAwaySailAwaySailAway Thu 16-Mar-17 00:26:27

I had no idea that this even existed. Is this not means tested already? If it isn't then it should be.

disappearingfish Thu 16-Mar-17 08:01:10

OP I've read your petition. I'm sorry for your situation flowers

Somerville Thu 16-Mar-17 19:15:58

Hi user
There is a lot of discussion about the campaign on this issue on MN - here is the main thread about it, where it would be great for you to share your petition.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2864934-Widowed-families-need-your-help-tonight-please

As you'll see, various of us have been meeting our MP's, explaining the reality of finances once widowed - often after a long period of being a carer.

SailAwaySailAwaySailAway Fri 17-Mar-17 09:05:44

Right. I've done some reading now and given my head a wobble. If the government are saying it's not cost effective to means test it then they shouldn't be cutting it. I apologise for spouting off before engaging brain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now