Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PPI - How do I find out if I'm owed money?

(6 Posts)
doglover Tue 14-Mar-17 20:13:54

I've heard that PPI claims may stretch all the way back for over 20 years. How do you find out if you may have a claim? I'm not sure about contacting one of the companies who say they'll search for you although they may be perfectly reputable! I've re-married / changed name etc and haven't a clue how to start!

T.I.A.

namechange20050 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:15:57

Watching with interest

lionsleepstonight Tue 14-Mar-17 21:10:25

I wrote to the companies I had either banked with or had a loan with, supplied my name and address at the time and approximate dates. That's all the info I had and it was enough.

lionsleepstonight Tue 14-Mar-17 21:12:38

I went directly to the companies I'd banked with, not via one of those companies that charges a fee. Go to the Martin Lewis website for templates etc.

doglover Tue 14-Mar-17 21:15:53

Thanks for your advice.

JoyceDivision Tue 14-Mar-17 21:22:20

Just write directly to the banks: if you feel their response isn't correct (although it should be) you have the right to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service.

DON'T use a claims company, they take usually upwards of 30% at least and they have no more power than you do as a customer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now