We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PPI - How do I find out if I'm owed money?

(6 Posts)
doglover Tue 14-Mar-17 20:13:54

I've heard that PPI claims may stretch all the way back for over 20 years. How do you find out if you may have a claim? I'm not sure about contacting one of the companies who say they'll search for you although they may be perfectly reputable! I've re-married / changed name etc and haven't a clue how to start!

T.I.A.

namechange20050 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:15:57

Watching with interest

lionsleepstonight Tue 14-Mar-17 21:10:25

I wrote to the companies I had either banked with or had a loan with, supplied my name and address at the time and approximate dates. That's all the info I had and it was enough.

lionsleepstonight Tue 14-Mar-17 21:12:38

I went directly to the companies I'd banked with, not via one of those companies that charges a fee. Go to the Martin Lewis website for templates etc.

doglover Tue 14-Mar-17 21:15:53

Thanks for your advice.

JoyceDivision Tue 14-Mar-17 21:22:20

Just write directly to the banks: if you feel their response isn't correct (although it should be) you have the right to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service.

DON'T use a claims company, they take usually upwards of 30% at least and they have no more power than you do as a customer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now