Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Company maternity and paternity pay - what does yours offer?

(34 Posts)
bakinglady79 Mon 13-Mar-17 14:03:00

Hi All,

I want to see if what our company offers (a private sector tech firm in UK) is competitive in how much we pay for additional (Company) maternity and paternity pay as I suspect it's might not be.

Personally I haven't worked for somewhere that does offer more than the statutory amount, but I want to ask you lovely peeps:

- if you're lucky enough to be paid more than statutory, what your company paid/is paying you/your partner whilst on maternity leave, and

- what you/your partners had for paternity leave (did/do they get paid anything above the statutory minimum amount for their two weeks, or did the company pay more? e.g. 1 or 2 weeks at 90%, full pay etc)

- If you could also let me know what sector your business is in (private / public, tech / travel / manufacturing etc.) and if it's small, medium or large that would be super helpful!

Thanks for all your help! smile

2014newme Mon 13-Mar-17 14:05:03

Statutory only.
I think there is a survey section on Mn?

TopKittyKat Mon 13-Mar-17 14:14:08

Private sector.
I get 7 weeks 90% the statutory. If I go back to work for 6months, I get s further 7weeks 90% as a bonus (minus the statutory pay I would have received while on mat leave).

DH just gets the two weeks statutory at his work. Also a private company.

SilenceOfTheYams Mon 13-Mar-17 14:21:05

Our company has recently changed its maternity offer. Previously, you got statutory maternity pay whilst off, and then a bonus payment equivalent to two weeks pay at the 12 month and 18 month point after returning to work. The new offer from April onwards will be full pay for the first 12 weeks of maternity leave and then SMP for weeks 13-39.

bakinglady79 Mon 13-Mar-17 14:22:11

Thanks 2014newme - I'll have a look! smile

BAR91 Sat 25-Mar-17 20:12:11

6 months full pay then so many weeks at stat pay then so many weeks at nothing.

Timeforbedithink Sat 25-Mar-17 20:19:06

Private sector, science/tech/engineering, 12 weeks at full pay then SMP plus continuation of benefits (car allowance, childcare vouchers, covering my pension contributions).

GreenGoblin0 Sun 26-Mar-17 09:22:46

I work at a university

6 weeks full pay followed by
12 weeks half pay plus smp followed by
21 weeks smp only followed by
13 weeks unpaid

essentially it's 9 months paid at rates above and final 3 months unpaid. most go back after 9 months with some wraparound annual leave added on which is what I will do.

you have to go back to work for 3 months otherwise you pay back anything received over smp.

partner works for a charity and will get 4 weeks paternity leave at full pay.

Aliveinwanderland Sun 26-Mar-17 09:24:36

I'm the same as GreenGoblin but without the chance to add annual leave to either side as I'm in a school.

My DH got 3 weeks full pay- he is in the NHS.

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Sun 26-Mar-17 09:53:39

6 months full pay followed by 3 months smp then nothing for the last 3 , but you have to go back for at least a month at the end OR pay back the full pay difference.
DH has 2 weeks stat.

redandwhite1 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:31:21

9 months full pay then up to a year but unpaid for those 3 months

Winglet Mon 27-Mar-17 23:13:43

6 weeks at 90%
then half pay and SMP until 9 months.

It is very generous. Local government.

Tempranillo Mon 27-Mar-17 23:32:33

8 weeks full pay
18 weeks half pay plus SMP
13 weeks SMP
13 weeks unpaid

Namechangegame Tue 28-Mar-17 09:23:42

6 months full pay then statutory. DP has same for shared parental leave
We both work for different NDPBs.

It's good! Have to return for at least 6 months.

KarenCBC Tue 28-Mar-17 19:56:15

statutory only...
I work in travel

PebbleInTheMoonlight Tue 28-Mar-17 20:23:24

Private sector. FTSE 100 company.

Maternity is 6 months full pay once you qualify (6 months employment prior to pregnancy) then SMP.

Paternity is statutory only, but the company are very flexible about booking paid holidays to coincide with the birth.

BikeRunSki Tue 28-Mar-17 20:27:24

Large public body, not NHS or local authority

Maternity - 18 weeks full pay, then SMP to 39 weeks (I think it's 39)
Paternity - 2 weeks full pay
Company quite open to shared parental leave (is that the term? Where fathers take on some/half the mum's maternity leave) , and several new dads I work with have done this.

Thegirlintheyellowjerseydress Tue 28-Mar-17 20:29:28

6 months full pay (once you've worked there for long enough to qualify)

Crunchyside Tue 28-Mar-17 20:36:17

20 weeks full pay, 19 weeks statutory pay, the rest unpaid.

Paternity leave is rubbish - two weeks and they're not even full pay. There is a complicated leave-sharing option but not really practical for breastfeeding mothers and also financially impractical if the father earns more.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Tue 28-Mar-17 20:37:52

28 weeks full pay, 11 weeks SMP for maternity. 3 weeks full pay for paternity.

rhodes2015 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:38:43

My company is a large food manufacturer.

They offer
22weeks full pay
17weeks smp
13weeks unpaid

My husband is self employed so no paternity leave/pay

CyclingMumKingston Tue 28-Mar-17 20:39:43

18 weeks full pay
19 to 39 week SMP

Clarabell100 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:41:29

I'm in maternity leave at the moment and get 6 months on full pay then three months on statutory. Can take another three months unpaid. Same as a PP I have to go back for six months otherwise I have to pay some back.

DiploCat1 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:43:13

I'm a civil servant:
Maternity is 26 weeks fully pay
13 weeks smp
13 weeks unpaid.

Paternity is 2 weeks full pay.

We can also do shared parental leave, so father can use some of the maternity allowance too but there are quite a few qualifying conditions. Only seen it happen with a couple in the same organisation so far.

OohNoDooEy Tue 28-Mar-17 20:44:57

Smallish financial services company - smp only, for both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now