Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

My father's will

(6 Posts)
JangleJem Fri 10-Mar-17 10:00:02

My father is updating his affairs following my mother's recent death. He's very organised about such things and I have always been his executor but now he wants my wife as joint executor. All fine except this - which was in his most recent email to me:

The legal things have been completed. You're both now my Executors. I will give you the documents for safe keeping.
You will both be able to charge your time & efforts against my Estate.
Please research how to do this and get some idea how & when we can put it in the Letter of Wishes

I assume he means that we can claim back money to compensate us for our time and trouble sorting out his affairs after he dies. (He's 77 and in poor health.)

Anyone got any idea how I go about this? What is a letter of wishes? How do I charge our time and efforts against his estate? He could find his out for me but everything is a bit much for him these day.

Any suggestions or information gratefully received.

Notreallyhappy Fri 10-Mar-17 11:39:26

howtowritealetter.net/letter-of-wishes.html

Letter of wishes is put with the will. Check here or Google for info.

Notreallyhappy Fri 10-Mar-17 11:40:48

wills.which.co.uk/whichwills/?event=seo&seopath=product/letter-of-wishes/&querystring=

JangleJem Fri 10-Mar-17 12:10:30

I feel like a dimwit for not just bloody googling it myself. Grief is making me listless and vague. Thank you for going to the trouble for me.

Notreallyhappy Fri 10-Mar-17 13:14:31

It's OK. . Life's getting in the way of your senses. Take care. Xflowers

Marmitelover55 Fri 10-Mar-17 16:05:19

I thought you could charge for expenses as an executor but not for time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now