Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Saving Childcare vouchers - is Child Tax Credit affected?

(5 Posts)
user1489096218 Thu 09-Mar-17 22:07:05

Hello,

Our youngest one started a nursery 2 months ago. For a last 2 months we have used childcare vouchers to cover a nursery fee fully.

In April I plan to apply for Tax credit as according to caculator I should be entitled to CTC for 2016/17 as I did not earn much during maternity.

I'm now back and work and continue claiming childcare vouchers.

On the benefit form Tax office wants to know if use any childcare vouchers to pay nursery fees.

but what will happen if I will not use them from now on? Just pay cash and give tax office full nursery fee. Would tax office still lower CTC as im claiming vochers even if not used?

So I would like to claim vouchers (and save them for next year) but not use them?

My nursery fee wouldnt be lower as I would not use the voucher.

Would by CTC be affected if my nursery fee is paid by a voucher?

Hope the above makes sense.

Hamiltoes Sun 12-Mar-17 11:18:46

You can't do it as you'd be saving on tax even if you didn't use them.

You need to stop vouchers completely while you move on to tax credits and then once your claim for TC has ended start buying vouchers again.

user1489096218 Sun 12-Mar-17 20:05:18

Actully called TAX office yesterday and they said other way round. If you dont use them, then you can put full nursery fee.

lambfish Tue 04-Apr-17 12:35:16

user1489096218, I find I am in the very similar situation, would you mind explaining what TAX office said regarding saving childcare vouchers for next year?

user1489096218 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:08:24

I just called the help line and explained the situation. They proved what I was thinking. that when you take vouchers but dont use them this year - then you do not have to deduct them from the nursery fee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now