Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Penalty for late tax return, but I did file it!

(7 Posts)
PerpetualStudent Tue 07-Mar-17 15:40:16

Just that really. Have recieved a penalty notice from HMRC saying I have a £100 penalty to pay for late filing of my self assessment tax return.
But I 100% filed it by the deadline of 31st Jan (well, on the deadline day!) went through the whole process and even have the pdf of the completed return downloaded to prove it!

So I've launched an appeal. Thing is, when I went onto my account now, it is saying my return is only 95% complete. I have no idea how this can be the case, as I followed the process the whole way through, down to downloading the completed return as I say. This is my 5th year of self assessment, so it's not a new process to me and I've never had issues before.

So 3 questions, I guess:
1, anyone had experience of a mistaken penalty notice, and how did it play out?

2, the appeals process says to complete any outstanding returns immediately to help your case, but I'm pretty loathed to go back onto my account and change/add anything, as it feels like an admission of guilt that I didn't complete the return. Should I?

3, is there a chance that I've missed clicking some small but vital box? What might this be?!

Thanks in advance

PestoSnowissimos Tue 07-Mar-17 15:48:24

I would finish the missing 5% and send it back to them asap.

PoundlandUK Tue 07-Mar-17 15:57:42

Your pdf of completed return is not what you need, i don't think. You need the receipt of online filing submission. Assuming you filed using software you would definitely have received one of these when it went through to HMRC.

My best guess would be that you did a test submission (checks the data line to HMRC is working OK) and then maybe forgot to do the full online submission to actually sent it through. Guessing of course, but I did this once and only noticed when I checked my HMRC account online in mid-January and found they were still waiting to receive it...I thought I'd filed it months ago!

Good luck.

PerpetualStudent Tue 07-Mar-17 16:17:17

Bugger bugger bugger, after looking into it, and comparing with also SE DP I think you're right Poundland how did I miss that?!

Still, they owed me £167 with the tax (barely do any work through my business currently and also have an ad-hoc PAYE roll, main income being a non-taxable student stipend, so have had rebates the last few years) so I'm ending the year still in the black overall, I guess?!

TreeTop7 Tue 07-Mar-17 21:37:09

The only evidence they'll accept is the completion reference - which you won't have because it wasn't submitted properly. It's very easily done, even by accountants sometimes! File it asap and claim your £67 at least.

Then, it's worth doing the online appeal via your Gov Gateway account (don't do it by letter or phone). They'll see that you've been a compliant filer for five years, so what you say is credible. If it's successful you'll be credited £100. It's worth a shot.

Ta1kinPeace Tue 07-Mar-17 21:42:37

Appeal the penalty.
Despite what HMRC like to say, if you owe no tax they have a beggar of a time justifying penalties
but get it properly filed ASAP

JoJoSM2 Tue 07-Mar-17 21:53:41

Happened to me before. I didn't press a stupid button at he end as it looked completed and submitted to me. I just paid. Not sure if there is any point in appealing as you didn't actually submit it on time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now