Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Email tax refund from hmrc

(11 Posts)
jackieeee Tue 07-Mar-17 14:38:29

Is this dodgy...today received an email saying i am due a tax refund of £600. Usually i just delete this kind of stuff, but it does look real?
What should i do,

ememem84 Tue 07-Mar-17 14:41:45

Firstly Do not click on any links.
If you do think it might be genuine I'd ring hmrc.

CycleOnTheLEFT Tue 07-Mar-17 14:42:25

www.gov.uk/government/publications/genuine-hmrc-contact-and-recognising-phishing-emails/genuine-hmrc-contact-and-recognising-phishing-emails

"Emails from HMRC will never...notify you of a tax rebate"

joannegrady90 Tue 07-Mar-17 14:44:02

I got the same as you op, looked very professional but completely fake!

Delete asap

jackieeee Tue 07-Mar-17 14:46:46

Thank you everyone - i have just deleted!

jackieeee Tue 07-Mar-17 14:47:10

Joanne, did you receive your email today?

cantthinkofanythingwitty Tue 07-Mar-17 14:48:56

I've been getting these and texts ever since I applied for marriage allowance. They are 100% fake, I called Hmrc to check just in case. I have had approx 3 emails and 4 texts since November

Starlight2345 Tue 07-Mar-17 14:51:35

I recieved one a few weeks ago the same for £600 and something...I don't earn enough to pay tax.

joannegrady90 Tue 07-Mar-17 14:52:50

It was a few days ago. Looked 100% authentic luckily a friend told me it was spam

jackieeee Tue 07-Mar-17 15:06:40

This looks real but to be honest i dont think i could be owed that much tax. I can understand why someone would believe it though

RustyBear Tue 07-Mar-17 15:25:57

If you complete a tax form online, you can choose to go paperless, in which case you would get an email from HMRC if you were due a refund. But it wouldn't tell you how much, or include a link to click, it would just look like this, telling you to log in to your account to see a message.

It also says at the bottom:
"If you’re unsure an email is from HMRC:
Do not reply to it or click on any links
Report the suspicious email to HMRC - to find out how, go to GOV.UK and search for 'Avoid and report internet scams and phishing' "

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now