Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SMP question

(9 Posts)
user1488658577 Sat 04-Mar-17 20:24:49

Hello
I am due a baby boy on 2/4/17 my work only pay SMP using the gov.co.uk calculator I have worked out my qualifying period is Nov and Dec pay. In Nov I was paid a £10,000 bonus will this be used for my SMP? I am worried that my company may try and not pay my full entitlement? Any body with previous similar experience would be good to hear what happened.
Thanks L

LIZS Sat 04-Mar-17 20:28:14

Ime it was taken into account so your smp is based on what you were actually paid.

beanielisa Sat 04-Mar-17 20:31:25

Thanks so can my employer try and only pay my monthly wage and not include my bonus? Seems to good to be true that with my bonus taken into account I will be paid more than my monthly salary for my SMP

Figgygal Sat 04-Mar-17 20:34:46

www.rawlisonbutler.com/blog/employers-question-pregnant-sales-director-basic-annual-salary-78000-per-year-received-52000-annual-bonus-two-month-period-used-work-statutory-maternit/

This might help you it's from last year so recent

LIZS Sat 04-Mar-17 20:34:46

No they should include it . 90% of the average during the qualifying weeks for 6 weeks. They reclaim it from the government anyway.

evensmilingmakesmyfacehurt Sat 04-Mar-17 20:35:14

Statutory Maternity Pay is £139 a week and is paid for 39 weeks, the 90% pay for your first 6 weeks is based on your salary and not any bonuses.

If your work offers enhanced maternity pay, this is when any bonuses or commission may be taken into account when calculating your pay but for SMP it's 90% of your monthly wage for 6 weeks and then the £139 for the next 33 weeks

beanielisa Sat 04-Mar-17 20:39:28

Thanks so much conflicting information but the majority all seem like I should get 90% of my salary and bonus which is amazing news I will actually be better off for having a baby and time off! Think I got very very lucky!

MumUndone Sat 04-Mar-17 21:17:31

SMP for first 6 weeks of Mat leave is 90% of average weekly earnings and will definitely include your bonus payment if it was paid during the relevant period.

purpleporpoise Sat 04-Mar-17 21:34:38

The average is from the 8 weeks prior to the 29th week, and uses the pay from which NI is deducted. So if you paid NI on the bonus then it's included in the average calculation

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now