Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Urgent help and advice needed

(6 Posts)
mee16 Thu 02-Mar-17 17:56:37

I have been to solicitors to see if I qualify for legal aid. They told me I'm £100 close to qualifying but at the moment I don't . I'm urgent need of asolicitor but can't afford them.
What can I do?

RandomMess Thu 02-Mar-17 17:58:52

What outgoing do they take into account? Are there any of them you can increase..?

mee16 Thu 02-Mar-17 20:09:29

The only outgoings they take into account are. Rent, childcare costs, £45 because I work and some amount for the dependants .
So it's either rent or childcare costs that I can increase. Cnt do anything else

EyeStye Thu 02-Mar-17 21:18:24

Are you receiving any maintenance as that is also taken into account
Otherwise you are right you can't reduce rent or childcare and the dependent amount is a fixed figure. The only way to qualify is to reduce income by reducing hours at work, but they will take an average over last 3 months so would take a while to kick in
Unfortunately there is a huge amount of people who don't qualify for legal aid but can't afford to pay privately and those people have to represent themselves in court.
Ask if they will do privately on a reduced rate. Some solicitors will do this rather than lose the work altogether.

mee16 Thu 02-Mar-17 21:36:23

Yes its very hard. Can't afford to reduce hours as I don't get paid much anyway and then it will be a struggle to cope. The solicitor I went to today said his rate was over £200 an hour including vat . He wouldn't reduce it.
I'm so desperate for advice and support but can't afford it and don't know where to go and what to do

EyeStye Fri 03-Mar-17 06:43:40

Ring round to see if you can get a reduced rate anywhere. Explain you are only £100 over legal aid.
Is there equity in the house? Litigation funding?
If you post on legal about your circumstances many family lawyers on there can advise.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: