Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

We where not told no children allowed.?

(11 Posts)
mummy2be1996 Thu 02-Mar-17 15:00:43

Me and my partner where looking for rented property. We applied for the house we wanted (unfurnished). When we went into the office to apply they asked us if we have any children and we told them one one the way (30 weeks) and told them my due date. We where accepted for the property and they sent out the contract a week later for us to go over, we noticed in the contrast no children which they didn't tell us when applying we where only told no pets and no smokers that wasn't a problem to us as we don't have pets and we don't smoke. We are meant to be moving in on the 6th of this month.

why would they accept us if they knew there was a child on the way? and what do we do about this?

I get there is the issue kids can damage to property but I still think it is unfair and I am willing to pay on top of the deposit for any damages done to the property by the child (not that it will cause any damage as it will be a new born)

AQuietMind Thu 02-Mar-17 15:02:15

You will not get any answers here as no one can answer but the estate agents.

Give them a call.

mummy2be1996 Thu 02-Mar-17 15:07:25

I have emailed them I am waiting for an email back I just wanted a second opinion or to see if anyone has had the same problem

BertieBotts Thu 02-Mar-17 15:11:40

They can't kick you out for having a baby IIRC.

If they approved knowing this then I don't think they've got a leg to stand on? You've been honest with them all the way so I wouldn't worry.

Don't agree to anything like paying for extra damage. They'd charge you for damage anyway, that's what the deposit is for, you don't need to offer anything extra. If you go in offering all sorts they will take the piss, IME.

AQuietMind Thu 02-Mar-17 15:15:23

Sorry, I have just read back my reply and didn't mean to sound so abrupt, I was trying to post quickly before I answered the doorbell flowers

FetchezLaVache Thu 02-Mar-17 15:16:07

It's probably just a standard contract, but I'd contact them and get them to take it out, for your protection. I once rented a place where the contract said I wasn't allowed any visitors after 10pm - the agent said it wasn't enforceable and not to worry about it, but I made them take it out anyway.

You did right to email as you've got something in writing, but if you're worried, just give them a quick ring to confirm.

BertieBotts Thu 02-Mar-17 15:17:10

You could ask CAB for advice. Their website reckons that landlords are not allowed to discriminate against pregnant tenants e.g. by ending a tenancy because of a pregnancy but doesn't say what happens in the case of a no children clause. I believe such a thing is not legally enforceable because it would be discrimination, but I'm not sure.

mummy2be1996 Thu 02-Mar-17 15:26:26

thank you you have all been helpful

JoJoSM2 Fri 03-Mar-17 08:45:13

I would have the clause taken out the contract before signing. Also, I don't think it's necessarily about damage to the property or descriminating against babies - more about affordability. It gets a lot more difficult to afford the rent on maternity pay or with childcare costs to cover.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 03-Mar-17 10:28:44

Surely if someone stops paying the rent, that's the time to deal with it, not when someone becomes pregnant or has children. Not everyone is plunged into destitution when they have children.

They may have good maternity pay or savings to fall back on, or might not need to pay childcare if they have helpful grandparents or a SAHP etc.

miserablemolly Fri 03-Mar-17 11:00:50

Maybe it's just a generic contract and they only enforce that bit if they need a reason to decline someone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now