Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

TV Licence

(3 Posts)
Aliencitizen Tue 28-Feb-17 22:16:21

I used to buy tv licence some time ago but stopped when I became unemployed because I couldn't afford it. Then got a job but had debts to clear so decided tv licence had to wait.

But then got used to not having to pay it, (not proud of myself). Anyway, I have not had one for several years and would now like to start paying again. I have been told that they can backdate it to the last time that I bought one. In fact they can backdate it for several years? Is this true, I would not be able to afford this.

Please advise.

needadvice17 Thu 02-Mar-17 22:03:21

They can't backdate it from when you last had one because then they would have to prove you needed one which they can't do now years later. I would just tell them you didn't need one at the time because you didn't watch any television and if you went to start paying you just ring them up and say you now need a tv license and want to buy one. I don't Blame you for not paying tv license. I don't pay currently because I just can't afford it. It's an extra thing people see forced to pay. I don't agree with it. Why should I pay the BBC if I mainly only watch ITV etc when ITV cover their own costs. I used to hate paying them for them to have fat wages that's why I stopped paying. Why should I struggle financially whilst they are living it up stuffing their face with cream cakes.

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Fri 03-Mar-17 01:14:07

Don't bother at all. Just stop watching live tv as it is broadcast and don't use Iplayer.
You can sign up to Netflix or Amazon and not need a licence as it is not live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now