Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

My head ruins my budget every time !!

(11 Posts)
Bluefluff Tue 28-Feb-17 15:10:06

Not sure where this thread should be, wondering if anyone has any advice.

I can budget fine on paper, in fact I'm quite good at it. I can tell you exactly how much comes out of my bank on what date, what my balance should be etc etc.

I'll do a budget every month covering everything, all is ok.

Then BAM I have another manic episode and I've ruined my budget by spending loads on random shit.

I live alone so don't have anyone I can give my cards too. Maybe I need to delete eBay/ Amazon etc?!

I find it hard to recognise when I'm being manic as it just feels to me like things are good confused I realise when I've crashed and it's too late.

Gingernaut Tue 28-Feb-17 15:17:18

No credit cards.

Delete eBay and Amazon.

Get thee to www.moneysavingexpert.com where there's help and advice available for those with mental health problems.

ImperialBlether Tue 28-Feb-17 15:24:03

Could you set up a separate savings account which sends a certain amount to your current account every day or few days? That would really limit what you could spend. Cancel any credit cards. It must be really tough for you - what do you tend to spend money on and where do you spend it, online or with contactless or what?

Bluefluff Tue 28-Feb-17 15:26:55

Great thanks will have a nosey on the money saving expert site, seen him on tv a couple of times. I'm also thinking (this might sound mad) if I write out my budget and stick it somewhere in my house where I can see it most of the time, it will remind me that I'm not supposed to be spending! As appose to it being in a filing cabinet upstairs!

Will get deleting eBay Amazon etc

Do I have to cancel my credit card or can I just stop using it? I need my other bank cards for my shopping etc but could give my credit card to family.

YouMeddlingKids Tue 28-Feb-17 15:28:51

How long do your manic episodes tend to last? Do you realise soon enough to send the majority of it back? Also, could you make yourself a 48 hour rule, that any impulse spend has to wait for 48 hours to check you really want it?

Bluefluff Tue 28-Feb-17 15:30:00

Imperial that's a good idea, I do actually have two current accounts so will start to use them better to limit the money I have access too.

I spend money on everything in every kind of way. I'd probably give you a good laugh if I told you half the stuff I've ended up with and ended up doing but I worry it would be so outing!!

I have these big ideas about life and the future etc (that are nothing like the reality of my life), and my spending generally relates to these big ideas.

Bluefluff Tue 28-Feb-17 15:33:35

You episodes usually last 1-2 weeks. Though my ideas about life fluctuate within those few weeks so the 48 hour rule may work. It's definitely my impulsiveness that causes the issues. It depends what I've bought as to wether I can return it, as my ideas are sometimes a little out of the ordinary sometimes I get myself in a pickle or tied into something I wouldn't usually do.

I'm having help to become more self aware.

GrassWillBeGreener Tue 28-Feb-17 15:36:29

I've heard of freezing a credit card in a box of water so you can access it if there is real need but you have to wait for it to thaw out.

RandomMess Tue 28-Feb-17 19:41:01

I was going to suggest the freezing the credit card as well. Plus get the limit on it lowered to a minimal amount!!!

Bluefluff Tue 28-Feb-17 19:56:50

I'm going to try the freezing smile my current limit is £3800, I'm not in any debt currently, apart from my mortgage, which is why I'm dealing with it now before it spirals out of control and I end up in debt. I could quite easily have been though it's only because I had some savings from when I was working when well that I didn't end up in debt! I've joined the frugaleer thread they look like a friendly bunch! There's lots of links on there too so will have a look at them, and a better look through the money saving expert site tonight. Thank you everyone grin

RandomMess Tue 28-Feb-17 19:58:40

I would reduce that credit limit massively!! I would also put some savings in an account where it is 30 days notice or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now