Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What do you read to keep current with the economy, investments, personal finance, etc.?

(13 Posts)
Earlybird Mon 27-Feb-17 15:05:33

I would be interested to know what you read for news stories and commentary on the economy, performance of specific companies on the stock market and investing advice/strategies.

Are there certain publications, writers, blogs, twitter feeds, newsletters etc. that you find interesting, educational and helpful?

Free information via news outlets or subscription sources are of equal interest.

Thank you.

Babyroobs Mon 27-Feb-17 15:12:10

I don't have money to invest ( I wish I did) but if I were looking for advice on investments/best performing banks/ savings accounts etc I tend to look at Martin Lewis money saving page and see what people are saying there. I guess a financial adviser might be your best best if you are looking for investments.

Fruitboxjury Mon 27-Feb-17 15:12:55

Money Week, the Economist, the FT and I follow lots of analysts and economists on twitter

Babyroobs Mon 27-Feb-17 15:29:16

Sorry I meant to say the forums on MSE .And as pp says Money Week too.

Earlybird Mon 27-Feb-17 15:30:50

Babyroobs - thanks for the suggestions. I am aware of Martin Lewis, and know many people find his information helpful.

I do have a financial advisor, but find that I must educate myself in order to have informed conversations and make good decisions - rather than simply rely on him for everything. I made that mistake 10 years ago, and lost a lot of money in the financial crisis. I have vowed not to let that happen again - at least not through ignorance or being too trusting!

Fruitboxjury - I'd be grateful if you could share details of the twitter feeds of the analysts and economists you most value.

I am far from a professional, but am a reasonably knowledgeable investor looking for more sophisticated information and analysis.

Lotsawobblybits Mon 27-Feb-17 15:47:50

FT, Investors Chronicle (their picks are generally a good pointer & if you don't want to subscribe you can but it adhoc), Motley Fool (thefool.co.uk) some interesting & lively discussion on boards, but take some of it with a pinch of salt.

I use Hargreaves Lansdown and they have some good information on the website as well.

Hamiltoes Mon 27-Feb-17 21:26:40

r/ukpersonalfinance and sometimes venture over to the normal american personal finance sub on Reddit. Theres also links from there to financial indepence etc which are pretty good too although its mostly forum based and people asking questions there are some very knowledgeable posters and also interesting links and posts.

Earlybird Tue 28-Feb-17 14:27:17

Thank you for these suggestions. I'll take a look.

Any other sources - commentary, editorial, news stories from business writers, etc. - would be appreciated.

kath6144 Tue 28-Feb-17 16:25:47

I would also second the Hargreaves Lansdown site, even if you don't use them to invest.

It contains a lot of analysis and information.

We have never used Financial advisors, have never trusted them since some bad advice on taking out a personal pension many moons ago. We just use the HL website and invest in a range of funds, drip fed monthly.

Generally all apart from one (a technology fund bought at height of dotcom bubble) have made good gains over the years.

Sunseed Tue 28-Feb-17 17:13:21

Personal finance sections of weekend newspapers, e.g. Telegraph.

Citywire Money as an online resource.

The Share Centre website - similar to Hargreaves Lansdowne.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Tue 28-Feb-17 17:22:40

I dont always agree with Martin lewis.

I like the Telegraph Finance - both business and personal.

I do read the investment summaries from Investment houses eg fidelity, henderson etc. Not much sinks in but it at least priompts thoughts on sectors, industries etc.

Huffington Post has bits on and soemtimes find myself on the NY Times or Washington Post sites

Linked in articles are quite specific but can be interesting.

user1486723488 Tue 28-Feb-17 17:31:43

ZeroHedge for obscure and random fiscal news! Anything on bitcoin and blockchain, precious metals etc as those sites always have good links to edgy finance analysts. LinkedIn groups but economic groups often v spammy so you need to weed all that out. MSE forums can be quite good but pretty basic. medium.com occasionally has thought-provoking articles too.

user1486723488 Tue 28-Feb-17 17:32:51

oh, and Business Insider too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now