Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits investigation

(104 Posts)
Abbeyo123 Sun 26-Feb-17 00:34:12

I would just like to know if anyone has ever been investigated by tax credits I have got to send them a years worth of bank statements wage slips childcare receipts as they have sent me two seperate letters one to say they need to check my tax credits, the only issue I have is I have let someone use my bank and over the year £11,000 was paid into the account by them but it was not my money nor did I earn a single penny from it I would just take the money out and hand it over to he's partner as he was away a lot and I thought I would do them a favour I'm absolutely terrified that they are going to think it was my money and it definatelt wast I work part time doing 25 hours per week and rely on the extra from tax credits to help me with my finances bills nursery fees etc it is just me and my little boy I suffer with anxiety and haven't slept in almost 4 days since receiving this letter !! It makes it even worse that I have tried to ring the person who put the money in to my account and I cannot get hold of him as I say he's away a lot and I don't no how to explain this I don't want tax credits to think this is my income or has benefited me in anyway shape or form?? If my tax credits stopped or I'm investigated I'm worried that my
Housin benefit that I receive will be effected and I will lose my home if anyone has every been in the same situation any advice would be appreciated

bigearsthethird Sun 26-Feb-17 00:40:31

You do realise that's money laundering don't you?

NotStoppedAllDay Sun 26-Feb-17 00:44:45

Jeez why on earth did you do that?

LemonSqueezy0 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:29:25

What would you think if this situation was happening to someone else? You can see that you will have difficulty explaining this so my advice would be to get support from citizens advice ASAP and be as open and honest as you can with the DWP.

Thisrabbitthatrabbit Sun 26-Feb-17 09:32:59

Get yourself a citizens advice appointment asap. I would also suggest going to your GP and asking for something to help with the anxiety because I don't think this is going to be easy for you.

Auspiciouspanda Sun 26-Feb-17 09:34:56

I'm a housing benefit assessor and I've seen this way more times then I should have.

It'll be deemed as your capital as you had access to it. But I'm pretty sure that tax credits doesn't take savings into account for your award so it's your HB that will be affected.

Abbeyo123 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:37:01

I'll tell them the truth about I I genuinely didn't think someone using my account just to transfer money was an issue, maybe it's me being naive I don't know I just allowed him to do it it, I will be telling them who it was and I'll even show them messages between us, what gets me the most is I did say not to do it again after a couple of times and he would then ring me and say I think I've had money transferred so I'd look on my online banking and there it would be so I'd have no choice but to take it out and then hand it over to his girlfriend, 11000 isn't what he's had put in I've lent money through the year my mums helped me a little to try and pay off a few small debts it's £11,000 all in all that has gone into my bank in the last year off this person I'm speaking about money borrowed, my mum and when I've sold things on eBay so majority I can account for it's just this it's driving me insane

Abbeyo123 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:39:17

Thank you , But it's not my money and I haven't had a penny out of it if anything this has made my money situation ten times worse because I now no I'm going to have money stopped etc , would I have to prove it wasn't mine before they acknowledged I didn't have access to it x

Costacoffeeplease Sun 26-Feb-17 09:42:54

But the money went into your bank account? They will see it as being your money. Why on earth did you agree to this?

Lessthanaballpark Sun 26-Feb-17 09:44:46

OP why did you let him use your bank account like that? What reasons did he give for wanting to do so and what relation is he to you?

I can't imagine any circumstances in which I would feel comfortable doing that for someone especially when I know I may have to show my income at some point.

Leggit Sun 26-Feb-17 09:45:23

It doesn't matter that it was not your money In principle because in paper it was. You need to get to the cab for advice asap

Crispsheets Sun 26-Feb-17 09:45:34

Why are they putting money in your account? What reason did they give?

Abbeyo123 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:45:36

Because im such an idiot, I was just trying to be nice I thought it'll be £100-£200 nothing major, then when he kept doing it before actually telling me he was using it I got pi**ed off and told him to stop but what could I do once the money had gone in I couldn't leave it in my acc, I'm in rent arrears council tax arrears I owe water rates money I wish it was mine I'd of cleared all my debts with it all , I'm just going to speak to CAB see what they can advise me to do also speak to my doctor because all this worry is making me unwell thank you everyone x

Abbeyo123 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:47:31

And the reason was he needs to give his girlfriend money as he was away a lot and I thought she'd have nothing so didn't want her to be sat without and he's just a friend of the families, like I say though I did tell him to stop doing it but then he would do it then tell me the money was in so it's not even like I could say no don't do it because it was already done by this point

LottieL Sun 26-Feb-17 09:48:14

I think the problem is that you did have access to it - in their eyes. I can't see how you'd prove you didn't when the money was in your bank account. The fact that you withdrew the money to give to someone else sort of goes against you almost.

LIZS Sun 26-Feb-17 09:49:18

You need to prepare a schedule of these rogue payments and the relevant debits. However I don't think they will look kindly on this . Did you take cash out for the gf by any chance?

Thisrabbitthatrabbit Sun 26-Feb-17 09:50:43

Why couldn't he just transfer it into her account?

shartsi Sun 26-Feb-17 09:50:44

Can you get hold of his girlfriend if you can't get to him on the phone? Do you have the girlfriends address? You may have to give tax credits her details so that your story checks out.

Abbeyo123 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:53:12

I've got her address yeah, I asked why didn't they use her bank you know why I think they didn't prob for this reason so if she ever got looked into her benefits would never be effected because she's done nothing out of the ordinary. She doesn't even work she doesn't have to worry about anything I'm worrying about she has no idea how I'm feeling she's not been in touch neither has he even though I've explained the situation to them I will be telling tax credits and I'll be showing them messages between me and him where he's text and said money's gone in, and the money I would just take it straight out and he's partner would pick it up I didn't even give it a second thought honestly I'm such an idiot

FourToTheFloor Sun 26-Feb-17 09:54:59

OP you have been supremely naive, bordering stupid. Do you have any idea where this money was coming from? Why couldn't he just transfer it to his gf account.

There may be more consequences for you than just losing tax credits.

Kennington Sun 26-Feb-17 09:55:25

Get rid of these so called friends. They are money laundering via your account.
You need to write out the narrative of what has happened and come clean and ensure their names are documented.
At best you will be viewed as vulnerable, at worst, complicit in criminal activities.
where do you think the money is coming from? You aren't daft.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 26-Feb-17 09:56:08

So he/they used you to defraud tax credits for his claim with his current girlfriend?

Lessthanaballpark Sun 26-Feb-17 10:20:39

In OP's defence I don't think it's possible to stop someone paying into your account.

What a tricky situation to be in. I think you can only be honest and hope they believe you.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 26-Feb-17 10:26:06

You can complain to the bank in writing so you have a record and ultimately shut your account down, to be honest

I'm not criticising; just pointing out what HMRC are likely to note

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 26-Feb-17 10:26:43

You can complain to the bank in writing so you have a record and ultimately shut your account down, to be honest

I'm not criticising; just pointing out what HMRC are likely to note

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now