Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Getting bank charges refunded

(10 Posts)
hellooooooomama Thu 23-Feb-17 22:36:45

I've had a few overdraft fees in the past six months or so, nothing massive but annoying. Been with the bank for ages. Can I ask them to refund the charges out of goodwill? What are the chances do you reckon? I'm thinking of leaving them as there are so many enticing offers elsewhere. I could mention that...

UrethaFranklin Thu 23-Feb-17 22:39:35

You might get one refunded if it was a one off but I seriously doubt they would refund a few. I don't think your chances are good at all.

ImperialBlether Thu 23-Feb-17 22:41:54

I did this a few years ago. Which bank are you with? I did it with Lloyds.

RortyCrankle Thu 23-Feb-17 23:00:37

I would think the chance would be virtually zero. You went overdrawn several times, they charged you - why on earth would they refund the charges?

hellooooooomama Thu 23-Feb-17 23:08:11

Barclays. I've been on mat leave so I have a good reason for not being as good as I usually am. Thanks for responses btw.

ImperialBlether Thu 23-Feb-17 23:11:50

I've sent you a PM, OP.

Jenniferb21 Thu 23-Feb-17 23:15:21

I would write to them to tell them about your circumstances and ask the q usually banks will refund one or two as one offs as a good will gesture. Are you still likely to go overdrawn again? Are you able to increase your overdraft to avoid this?

If they were execessive charges and you had no way of getting yourself out of debt then you may have grounds to ask for a full refund.

Speak to a local citizens advice bureau for free legal advice or have a look on the which website. That will help you draft the letter x

hellooooooomama Thu 23-Feb-17 23:21:33

Thank you all. I'm back to work soon so things will return to normality. I already have a big enough overdraft Jennifer, they just charge me to use it. I feel a bit cheeky asking tbh but I feel I have nothing to lose.

ImperialBlether Fri 24-Feb-17 09:06:25

I would phone rather than speak to someone in the branch. Explain you are on a low income due to maternity and their charges are causing you hardship. They've all been in trouble for the charges before, where someone's had to pay over £10 for a charge when they were pennies overdrawn for a day. Add up your income for that period and add up your charges and explain they have caused you a lot of problems.

If you go onto the MoneySavingExpert site you will find the number of the person to call.

hellooooooomama Fri 24-Feb-17 21:38:10

Thanks Imperial, I'll go over the paperwork this weekend and do something about it next week. Thanks so much for your help flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now