Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Paying off debt in another name? Help.

(2 Posts)
Helpinsuchapickle Thu 23-Feb-17 12:04:37

I need advice. My mum got a mobile phone contract for me.

When I upgraded the company messed up and ended up adding a load of wrong charges. They wanted me to pay a stupid amount. My mum ended up in the shop for THREE hours trying to sort it. And it didn't help.

They then cut my phone off because of the charges. £450.

I've just got a letter. It's been passed to a debt collection agency and its now £950?!!

The reason my mum got the phone for me is because my credit is poor and I am on disability benefits.

I can't pay £950 out right.

I'm scared to tell her sad

I want to ring up and set up a payment plan (letters in her name but my address) but I don't think they will allow me to? Plus it's in my mums name so will ask her her earnings, not mine, deeming 'her' able to pay more??

I don't know what to do. It's such a mess sad

Do you think they would take a reduced payment if paid in one chunk?

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Thu 23-Feb-17 12:37:41

You need to speak to your mum. This is in her name and if you dont pay this she could end up with a CCJ against her name. Speak to the debt collection agency with her present and see if you can set up a payment plan. Do not ignore this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: