Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits - income from unemployment insurance

(3 Posts)
puglady2016 Thu 23-Feb-17 00:34:12

My husband has lost his job so we are now eligible for tax credits. However, he has an income protection insurance policy and I am not sure if this counts as income for tax credits. My instinct is not as it's not taxable - does anyone know where I can get advice on this as tax credits helpline did not know so told me to declare it anyway but I don't see why I should if it's not legally classed as income! At the same time I want the claim to be correct

Rockchick1984 Thu 23-Feb-17 11:55:55

Is it a monthly payment or a lump sum? I suspect that a monthly amount would be included but that a one off payment wouldn't be. Personally I'd be tempted to just ring again and speak to someone else!

puglady2016 Thu 23-Feb-17 13:01:00

It will be monthly but Citizens Advice Bureau website says it's not classed as taxable income and according to HMRC rules only miscellaneous income which is taxable is declarable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now