Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Single parent Tax Credits, but pregnant..

(9 Posts)
mumofnearly2 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:17:17

I've been a single parent for a couple of years since I left my ex husband and am meticulous about providing correct info to HMRC, so not sure why this is worrying me so much. Basically after a brief "relationship" (different man) I am pregnant. We are not a couple, he has never lived with me, shared finances etc, so I continued with my sole tax credit claim. However, I will need to ring when the baby arrives in a couple of months to advise of a change in circumstances, I.e claiming for a 2nd child. Will they believe I am a single parent or will they assume I've been claiming fraudulently and investigate me?

Babyroobs Wed 22-Feb-17 09:56:38

I doubt they will investigate unless someone there is reason to. Make sure you claim child maintainence from him though ( not that it affects tax credits at the moment).

Babyroobs Wed 22-Feb-17 09:58:07

How many children do you already have? If this is your third child and born after April 6th 2017 then you won't get any extra tax credits anyway for a third child.

mumofnearly2 Wed 22-Feb-17 10:05:56

Just the 1 at the moment. I don't think here is any reason to investigate and there's certainly nothing I'm hiding, confident I've not done anything wrong. Just worrying it'll be a red flag and they'll automatically assume I'm lying!

JoJoSM2 Wed 22-Feb-17 10:12:32

You needn't worry about an investigation if you've done nothing wrong. They have every right to check things if they want to.

mumofnearly2 Wed 22-Feb-17 10:16:37

True and I understand if they do. I think I've just heard enough horror stories to think they won't believe me whatever I do/say. Guess I'm just dreading making that call

kayleighnotts Wed 22-Feb-17 11:25:37

My best mate has 2 kids with same dad 6 years apart, they don't live together and they never questioned it. they do data matching all the time if it flagged up as your child father financialy linked at your address then they would investigate. Declaring a 2nd child would not raise a red flag. Single mums have kids all the time don't worry about it.

mumofnearly2 Wed 22-Feb-17 11:40:32

Thanks Kayleigh, that's reassuring. He's only been to my house a couple of times, definitely no financial links so hopefully they will understand the situation

TreeTop7 Thu 23-Feb-17 20:35:16

They may investigate but they'll find nothing - because there's nothing to find.

As a pp said, ensure he pays maintenance. As well as being the right thing to do, it will further show that you're not a cohabiting couple.

Good luck with the birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now