Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone remortgaged recently?

(20 Posts)
fudgecat Wed 22-Feb-17 03:19:04

If so how long did it take start to finish?

JoJoSM2 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:01:41

About 2 months. It involved using a broker to go with a different bank, getting a valuation done, all the legals etc I think that if you remortgage with the same bank, it should be significantly quicker.

modernfemininity Wed 22-Feb-17 11:09:05

Took me less time; three weeks, didn't use a broker (is there an advantage to do so?) and yes, also had a valuation and submitted lots of paperwork. I was impressed with swift service but also I was all over it, replying when questions asked.

fudgecat Thu 23-Feb-17 07:04:45

Wow, thats a massive variation in timescales

Gracey79 Thu 23-Feb-17 07:06:19

I'm an advisor in a bank they usually take 4/6 weeks for us

acornsandnuts Thu 23-Feb-17 07:17:16

We did one a few years back with the same mortgage company and it took around three weeks.

We used a broker just recently and would never again. It took nearly two months with loads of paper work duplication.

fudgecat Sat 25-Feb-17 08:16:24

Anyone else?

DoubleCarrick Sat 25-Feb-17 08:19:27

We had some complications with ours and it took jan-Aug to sort!!

TreTops Sat 25-Feb-17 10:18:31

We remortgaged for additional borrowing, it took 3 weeks from the phone call to the money being paid. I

NotCitrus Sat 25-Feb-17 10:26:46

About 3 weeks for us, used broker just so he could sit on hold on the phone.

legolammb Sun 12-Mar-17 15:45:30

Bumping this as currently in the middle of a nightmare process that has so far taken 2 months. Would anyone with a quick turnaround share their providers for future reference? No way am I going with HSBC again in future, they've got important details wrong, lied about timescales and generally been rubbish

fudgecat Sun 12-Mar-17 18:54:10

Oh no legolammb our application is with hsbc !! Any idea what the issues are?

bettybyebye Sun 12-Mar-17 19:02:00

We remortgaged with Santander 2 years ago and it took a 15 minute phone call! We were with them already though so didn't have to go through a lot of the checks etc

Bibs2014 Sun 12-Mar-17 21:19:54

2 months.

ihatethecold Sun 12-Mar-17 21:24:35

Currently changing to TSB
All been done online and through email.
We had an issue that took a week is so to sort.
This wasn't TSB's fault.
We will complete on the 20th.
It's taken nearly 2 months.
Been very easy to do.

BookShop Sun 12-Mar-17 21:29:22

We just remortgaged. It took 2 hours start to finish. The Halifax were amazing.

Blueroses99 Sun 12-Mar-17 21:36:04

Also with Santander and it took a very short phone call!

HesterGreysGarden Sun 12-Mar-17 21:38:40

Remortgaged 2 weeks ago. It took me three phone calls:
1. to current mortgage provider to establish what they'd offer us to stay with them
2. to Which? independent mortgage brokering service to check this was pretty competitive
3. to current provider to make the switch - but they then suggested we just do it online, which we did.
In the end it took less than 15 mins to switch online. I thought it was going to be a nightmare, but it wasn't at all. Really, really pleased with the whole thing! Heartily recommend Which? btw - was totally free and really made me feel I was making the right decision

legolammb Mon 13-Mar-17 18:40:06

fudge - initially they misprinted some of my details, then the 3rd party conveyancer they recommended took ages to process our documents - it's been weeks and they said it would be a few days, the documents had the wrong names on - they also added on the names of the owners of the flat downstairs... just very shoddy after telling us it would be done in around 5 working days. Meanwhile we've had to pay hundreds extra as the fixed mortgage rate has changed

nopunintended11 Wed 15-Mar-17 22:44:53

I went through a broker through Quidco. They were excellent and I even got £200 cash back.

The remortgage took about 3 weeks, with another bank and I borrowed another £80 in equity and ended up paying less per month than before because interest rates had come down so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now