Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What are we entitled to?

(12 Posts)
KattyLou Mon 20-Feb-17 16:08:31

I can only apologize if this is a really stupid question - But my head is a bit of a mind field at the moment - I have asked google - but the answers have confused me!

My husband and I are both very lucky with steady incomes (we are both teachers) and own our property. Unfortunately, I have not been working at my current school for a year - so I am only entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay. We have a small amount saved and have already tightened some belts, so my maternity leave should be doable.

However, friends of mine have suggested that there are many benefits/freebies that I could be entitled to that would just help us out a little bit... Apart from child tax credits - is there anything thing else that I might be able to apply for?

Thanks in advance smile

mouldycheesefan Mon 20-Feb-17 16:12:44

Most people are only entitled to statutory maternity pays it's the norm rather than the exception. I was a director with ten years service and got statutory.
You will also get Child benefit when baby is born.
You can claim childcare vouchers which are salary sacrifice.
Free dentist whilst pg.
Do you still get free prescriptions when pg
That's the ones I know of.

queencrunch Mon 20-Feb-17 16:16:08

Tax credits? Dependent of total income

mouldycheesefan Mon 20-Feb-17 16:17:22

I would be surprised if two teachers got tax credits

SingaSong12 Mon 20-Feb-17 16:18:40

Try using a benefit calculator such as entitledto.co.uk. If you still aren't sure try local citizens advice. By the way there are a few areas of the country where everyone claiming a benefit based on low income claims universal credit. That includes tax credits. The benefit is being rolled out slowly. In those areas if your circumstances change you would also have to apply for universal credit e.g. If you are currently getting child tax credit and need to apply for a new child it will be universal credit. See link below about the dates

revenuebenefits.org.uk/universal-credit/guidance/who-can-claim-universal-credit/digital-full-service/

Northumberlandlass Mon 20-Feb-17 16:19:41

2 FT Teachers? I'd be really surprised if you were entitled to anything apart from CHB when your baby is born. I'm single, working FT and that's all I get.

PamBagnallsGotACollage Mon 20-Feb-17 16:23:10

Did you work at another school previously? I think that counts towards continuous employment.

Cantstopeatingchocolate Mon 20-Feb-17 17:00:05

Husband is a police officer and I am a retail manager and even on stat mat pay (much lower than salary) we weren't entitled to any other 'benefits' other than child benefit when DS was born, no tax credits etc.
I think the limit is £35k or £40k joint income or something like that.
I agree with pp I doubt two teachers would get any other benefits.

KattyLou Mon 20-Feb-17 17:09:15

Thanks so much everyone.

I thought as much - it did seem like it was too good to be true: to get 'freebies' ... No wonder google gave me no answers!

Like I said, I do understand that we are both very lucky and have enough time to get bits and bobs sorted out and a bit more money saved before baby is born.

My husband started getting things ready for the baby (almost straight after the 12 week scan). I was paranoid that it was just too early - but it's spreading the cost nicely. He was right. I don't say that often. But he was right ;)

2014newme Mon 20-Feb-17 18:21:40

It's often better to keep the money in the bank and buy things when they are in the sale. If you wanted to return anything e.g because you had a duplicate given to you as a gift, it's easier if the purchase is still in the refund period. Most people don't buy more expensive items till after 20 week scan

KattyLou Mon 20-Feb-17 18:44:18

Good point!

Big stuff we're going to get in the Easter holidays - I'll be about 26 weeks by then. Not sure we'll get many gifts other than TONS of knitted stuff. ALL of the grandmothers and aunts can knit... It's going to be a warm July/August for the baby!

When are the useful sales?

BoydCrowdersTeeth Mon 20-Feb-17 22:43:17

For WTC the first £100 is disregarded from SMP so your earnings are therefore lower and could get some/more tax credits if entitled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now