Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SMP

(2 Posts)
CharlotteUK80s Mon 20-Feb-17 15:10:19

I'm in full time employment, when I return back from maternity leave I will go full time again (37 hours). How many weeks/month's do I have to be back at work in order to receive full SMP before I can go on maternity leave again for baby number 2?

Moanyoldcow Mon 20-Feb-17 18:26:48

Your SMP counts as continuous employment. It is possible to start mat leave, get pregnant almost immediately after having your 1st child and go on a second bout of mat leave before even returning.

However in that instance you would prob get mat allowance rather than SMP. The earnings for the qualifying period (the eight weeks prior to 15 weeks before baby is due) are what determine how much SMP you get (if any). You need to be back at work by the time you are about 17 weeks pregnant.

This link should help.

worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/family-friendly-work/maternity-leave/my-maternity-leave-about-finish-and-i-am-pregnant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now