Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does this sound right- benefits

(14 Posts)
LovelyBath77 Mon 20-Feb-17 14:44:10

We've been through a difficult time with redundancy and family illness in the last few years. We have two children 8 and 11. Husband is presently self-employed but only wearing around 4K a year profit at the moment. He has health issues as well. I do too and claim cont based ESA and PIP. the ESA is taken as income in the calculation for tax credits giving us an award based on combined income of 10K. Also disability premium for enhanced rate PIP.

We have a mortgage to pay so at present most of the benefits seems to be taken up with that, council tax, and heating bills etc, in total this is over 1K per month. It is a bit of a struggle, with working tax credits we are not eligible for free school meals which is another 1K at least a year.

Can you think of anything else? Have tried the One stop shop place and they say no to council tax etc/ mortgage.

LovelyBath77 Mon 20-Feb-17 14:45:25

Already covered possibility of husband claiming PIP or cashing in pension for health reasons, although the former might be a possibility if his health gets worse.

Sixisthemagicnumber Mon 20-Feb-17 17:32:59

As you have a low income can't you switch from being on contribution based esa to income based esa? If you can do that then I assume the ESA won't be included as income on your tax credit claim. How long have you been on ESA?

LemonSqueezy0 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:24:35

Try it will give you everything you could he entitled to. CAB might also be able to give you advice

BoydCrowdersTeeth Mon 20-Feb-17 22:37:35

Carers allowance for DH for caring for you? £62 pw

Income based ESA for both (but reduced due to dh's earnings) but disability premium and carer premium added.

Or Income support for both and Carers Allowance in husbands name (as carer) - his might work out slightly more.

Losing the WTC though.

You need a calculation properly though.

LovelyBath77 Tue 21-Feb-17 10:18:18

Don't think can swap from CB ESA. Have thought about carer's but too tricky with self-employment,also that will then be also taken as income in tax credits which would reduce. Not sure how long been on ESA was transferred from incapacity benefit a few years ago. If change around might be forced onto new claim for universal credit so maybe best not rock the boat for now.

Sixisthemagicnumber Tue 21-Feb-17 10:43:31

income-related ESA - usually you get this on its own or on top of contribution-based ESA, if you’re on a low income

Does this not Apply in your case (from If you are on a low income you might be able to get both types of ESA. Your OH can claim carers allowance as long as his self employment income is under the threshold which I think is £110 per week. And yes, carers allowance is taxable so will affect tax credits but the withdrawal rate is 41% so you will effectively get to keep 59% of the carers allowance. 59% of £63 is still worth having.

LovelyBath77 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:26:30

I think it maybe be just on the limit for carer's. If on one year to the next his income does improve cont based can be better as it isn;t means tested I think. It seems to be swings and roundabouts. it will probably all change soon due to universal credit anyway

BoydCrowdersTeeth Tue 21-Feb-17 18:55:47

CB ESA usually only paid for 365 days.

Unless have migrated from Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement perhaps.

It is a minefield isn't it.

Carers Allowance for DH. If his
Profit is £4K less half of any pension contributions.

Plus it's only taxable if his earnings are over £10/11 K personal threshold.

BoydCrowdersTeeth Tue 21-Feb-17 18:57:44

Or the support group of CB ESA * for the 365 days not to apply

LovelyBath77 Wed 22-Feb-17 12:12:53

Thanks, yes am in the support group.

AnotherEmma Wed 22-Feb-17 12:17:21

Child Tax Credit - are you claiming it? If not you should be.

AnotherEmma Wed 22-Feb-17 12:21:22


- Council Tax Reduction / Council Tax Support - are you sure you're not entitled to this? Could you check with Citizens Advice? You would need to apply to your local council so you could always ask them or just apply and see if you get it.

- Some water companies offer special discounted tariffs for people on benefits / low incomes. Check whether yours does.

LovelyBath77 Wed 22-Feb-17 12:27:31

Thanks, Yes we get child and working tax credits and a premium due to the PIP. DH tried the council place but they now have a new system for council tax support and they didn't seem to accept the self employment income being low, they have some new guidance I think. Thanks for the thought though, we did get a new boiler a few years ago with the water scheme and a discount i think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: